The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/21666-good-bad-ugly.html)

Rachel Mon Aug 08, 2005 08:49am

I had the pleasure to umpire in the ASA 23U and boys National fastpitch tournament this past weekend.

The good:

The 23u "Bucks" team from Santa Barbara Calf. What a class act! The coaches and players were competitive and great sports. They win the championship game but cannot play the "if" because of their flight out of town.

The U18 team from Pennsylvania. The team coaches itself with no adults on the field, beats every team and does it with respect for all.

The bad:

There were a few defensively challeged teams.

The ugly:

The coaches from the U16 Baltimore team. They swore at their players. The coach poured a 5 gallon bucket of water on the perfectly mailntained pitchers circle because "his pitcher liked a wet surface". They questioned "EVERY" call that didn't go their way. Both got ejected from the tournament. There will be pictures of that fiasco to follow.

It's too bad, the kids on that team were talented enough to win. They were telling their coaches to shutup.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Aug 08, 2005 09:52am

Quote:

Originally posted by Rachel

They were telling their coaches to shutup.

Don't you just love it when that happens?

U_of_I_Blue Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:45am

Good

I've always liked the idea of the adults (coaches) taking a walk and letting the kids play. This just goes to show that it can be done. Sounds like you had a pretty good tourney overall rachel.

Rachel Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:33am

I was happy that the 16's didn't go to an "if". I had the plate for it but had not worked any of Baltimores games yet. But by that time they only had one adult coach left and he was not too bad.

mcrowder Mon Aug 08, 2005 04:11pm

I'm wondering how the coaches got out to the mound with a bucket of water without being stopped. Dumping that water would have gotten them ejected right then and there in my book.

debeau Mon Aug 08, 2005 07:24pm

Change of thread for information
You mentioned boys fastpitch , all I have heard of was girls softball .
How big is boys softball in different areas and what age groups ?

Rachel Mon Aug 08, 2005 09:48pm

Not nearly as big as girls softball. Team USA scouts were at the tournament and several of the players were on the team. Mostly, they were baseball players with a good pitcher. Other than the 23U the tournament wasn't that big. There were only 8 16U teams there.

Our area has a mens' league that a couple of the young teams play in. We don't have any class "A" teams in Minnesota anymore. The top players all play for a few good teams and the rest struggle to compete. I'll work the class "C" state this coming weekend.

We have a bunch of teams coming to town in two weeks for the NAFA (North American Fastpitch Assn.) national. I don't pretend to be an expert on mens' fastpitch in the US but it is fun to call the game because they play so fast.

Some others would have more information than I do.

0balls2strikes Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:30am

Boys fastpitch

I grew up playing Boys fastpitch in rice lake wi. At one time it was huge!!! We had 2 teams at nationals in each age group. (5 age groups we participated in) Its really too bad that boys fastpitch is dying off a little. It is hands down the best game i have ever played. Its so much faster than baseball, and more fun. (No standing around)
One of the players from Team USA is from the league i grew up playing in. Andy Mathews is his name and is one hell of a good player, i have had the chance to play and umpire for him. (he has a little mouth on him though) But umpiring for boys fastpitch is a blast!! I would encourage anyone and everyone to umpire at least one boys and mens fastpitch game in their time as an umpire.

Andy Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:28am

I grew up in a small town in Arizona in the 70's. The summers revolved around FP softball. The town had a men's team that played in a highly competitive league with other teams from around the state. Doubleheaders at the local field every Friday and Saturday and some Sundays. The City also hosted two tournaments every summer, Memorial Day weekend and Fourth of July weekend that they had to turn teams away from. Several years, the city even brought teams from New Zealand over to play!

Today, I only have heard of about 5-6 mens teams that are barely hanging on in Arizona and very few recreational Mens FP leagues. Slowpitch, however is going strong. Nothing against slowpitch, but I really enjoyed watching the mens FP games.

MNBlue Wed Aug 10, 2005 02:17pm

Rachel,

Sounds like you had a little more fun in Mankato than I did in Ham Lake. We had the 18U Northern National, and needless to say, there were more than a few teams that spent a lot of money for "2 and BBQ". Or in Minnesota, I guess it should be "2 and MOA". I spent waaaaaayyyyy too much time teaching my co-workers 3 man mechanics. I was extremely useful for them, but a little frustrating for me, having to call ball at a higher level than league night and keep an eye on my partners to make sure they were where they belonged. I think I learned as much about teaching as they did about 3 man.

Have fun at the Men's C.

Your partner from the Eagan HS Tourney

chuck chopper Thu Aug 11, 2005 05:42am

Rachel, Where was this held, & was the a "shockers" team. I am from Baltimore.

Rachel Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:19am

We were in Mankato, MN. I want to tell you that the team was pretty good. Their two coaches were the problem. All they had on their Jerseys was Baltimore.