The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I am getting ready to start my first year of teaching at a high school. One of my classes (which miraculously, was already in place) is a Sports Officiating class. I would like to look at as many sports as possible in order to expose my students to a wide variety of opportunities. If you could, please contact me about ANY TRAINING MATERIALS WHATSOEVER that you might have which you would be willing to share with me. This includes electronic documents, paper documents (which I would gladly pay for you to have sent to me), and anything else that you might be willing to share. Thank you so much for your help in this matter. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience at [email protected]. I would be glad to supply you with other mailing information as needed.

Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

I'd be interested in hearing what kind of materials you & your predecessors have been using.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Bring in guest speakers who have done the sports and can give the inside scoop on what to do.

I teach a unit in sports officiating in my high school. What the kids need is hands on experience with their peers after a walk through with the expert. When you find someone who shows talent and desire get them connected in the community.

The exposure you give them in high school may not intrest them at all now but you will see it work for some of them later.

Good luck.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the encouragement. Also, there is no predecessor for me. There was a teacher who was teaching health and PE last year who was really certified in Special Education, so he moved back to that dept. He had just helped get Sports Officiating into the curriculum. That's why I said it was a miracle that it was already in place. I was fresh out of college, was looking for a job, found an opening where my old principal was, and the position included teaching health and p.e. and sports officiating...
Old Sat Aug 06, 2005, 04:28am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you find yourself in what could really be a good opportunity - here's hoping you do well. I think Rachel may have a good & workable approach.
Old Sun Aug 07, 2005, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Emphasize understanding the intent, especially for those situations where the rules are not clear and where they won't know everything right away. ABove all, help them develop composure, both as officials and in life.