The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 06:07am
Official Forum Member

Men's slowpitch, ASA. Where would I find a rule regarding a "check" swing. I found a "chopped ball" criteria, but nothing about a check swing.

Situation: My leadoff batter is an extremely fast lefty. With two strikes he took a very easy swing (definitely not a chop) and hit a slow grounder to the shortstop. I believer the bat crossed past the plate. The other coach argued and the umpires conferred and then called him out because he didn't "break his wrists" on the swing. Any thoughts or direction would be appreciated.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eherrman
Men's slowpitch, ASA. Where would I find a rule regarding a "check" swing. I found a "chopped ball" criteria, but nothing about a check swing.

Situation: My leadoff batter is an extremely fast lefty. With two strikes he took a very easy swing (definitely not a chop) and hit a slow grounder to the shortstop. I believer the bat crossed past the plate. The other coach argued and the umpires conferred and then called him out because he didn't "break his wrists" on the swing. Any thoughts or direction would be appreciated.
There is no "check" swing definition other than "not a swing".

Go back and ask the idiot umpires where in the rule book there is any requirement for a batter to "break his wrists" when attempting to hit a ball. As long as the hitter didn't simply hold the bat still and tapped the ball, it's a swing.

I guess now someone will get called out for a pitch hitting a bat on the hitter's shoulder.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 09:06am
VaASAump

Quote:
Originally posted by eherrman

OK, I'm a bit confused on this one. The original post says that the batter hit a slow grounder to the shortstop. In other words, THE BATTER HIT THE BALL WITH THE BAT!!!! Where does "check swing" come into play here??? I would have asked the umpires, "How did the ball get to the shortstop???" As long as it wasn't a bunt (as Mike defined), what is there to question?

Serg
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Since the umpires ruled this an out, I think the actual question was, "What is a bunt?" He just didn't know what he was talking about.

And no, this is not a bunt - there is no requirement to break wrists on a swing.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 01:59pm
VaASAump

Thank you.

Eherrman,

If the question was "Where is the rule regarding a bunt" (as suggested by mcrowder), then look in ASA Rule 1, Definition of BUNT, and Rule 7, Section 6H.

Serg
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote IrishMafia:

I guess now someone will get called out for a pitch hitting a bat on the hitter's shoulder.

I would, if the ball rolled fair and they were thrown out.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

I've done that, Glen - many years ago (maybe 30-35 yrs ago), the pitch was over the batter's head, hit the bat and was a fair ball & F1 threw the ball to F3 for an out

And I'm with Serge - bat hit ball, so there's no "check swing".
Old Sat Aug 06, 2005, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Quote IrishMafia:

I would, if the ball rolled fair and they were thrown out.

Glen,

You know darn well to what I was referring and it had nothing to do with hitting a fair ball and being thrown out!