The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 10, 2001, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Did a game tonight with a partner that does mostly baseball. In fact tonight was his first softball game of the year. No problems really, good game till 6th inning when home team decided to quit thinking.. Curiosity question ?? As PU I don't believe it's my position to call obstruction on a girl rounding second and my partner in perfect position....the second baseman was clearly in the path of the runner and not about to receive the ball...caused runner to stutter step around her to touch bag on way to third...BU never indicated obstruction...lucky enough girl went into third standing up and coach never asked anything...is their anything wrong with me as PU indicating obstruction in this case or am I opening a can of worms I'll never get closed ??
Old Tue Apr 10, 2001, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Bandit,

Here is how I would handle this. If I saw it (obstruction or Interference) and was 100% sure I would call it. I might hestitate for a second to gave my partner a chance to gave the call if they did not then I would. I think it is part our duty on any play to assist our partners in these types of situation. I would never resent or get mad at a partner for making a call I might have missed we each have our responsibilities for outs or safes which after the play if we just blew the call we are able to appeal to our partner but obstruction and interference calls cant be corrected in an after thought. Also whenever working with a rookie or new umpire to softball rules I believe we should always be ready to assist and make these calls if we clearly see it.

JMHO

Don

[Edited by oppool on Apr 10th, 2001 at 11:21 PM]
Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Being my first season, I'm a bit hesitant to comment on most of these threads... But let me ask a question? With obstruction, I am under the impression that a delayed dead ball signal would be given and any action from the umpire would be only in the event that the obstructed runner was put out getting to the next base. Other than that the obstruction would be ignored... There I said it and put my neck out on the block How far off base am I?
Chuck
Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Chuck

A couple things to remember on a obstruction call, the runner is protected to the base you believe they would of made had there been no obstruction

SIT: R1 at 2nd B2 hits deep fly to right which is not caught , R1 runs into F6 standing in R1's basepath knocks R1 down then R1 gets up goes to 3rd, B2 stops at 2nd, you the ump ruled obstruction in your judgement had there not been obstruction R1 would of made it home and B2 to third then that is what you would award

or if R1 got put out at a close play at home it would then become a dead ball and you would then award home and B2 to third if in your judgement that is what would of happen had there not been obstruction.

So there are situations where the obstructed runner can be protected past one base.

But in same situation you think R1 would of just made it to 3rd without being obstructed and R1 gets put out coming into home the obstruction is no longer in effect and R1 is out, that is the reason for the delayed call the runner is protected to the base you believe they would of made after that anything goes

Hope this helps

Don
Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

All umpires have equal responsibilities when it comes to obstruction or interference. If you see it, call it.

One of the things I love to see is an obstruction or interference call made simultaneously by all the umpires on the field. Sort of sells the point!

Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Indication

Chuck: One thing I've been taught is to make sure I give the visual signal of the delayed dead ball and also make a verbal call loud enough for the closest fielder to hear. Not hearing the call does not void the call, just as in the infield fly rule. But the visual signal helps eliminate coaches questioning if you saw it, and that is what my partner didn't do last night that got me nervous
Old Thu Apr 12, 2001, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
All umpires have equal responsibilities when it comes to obstruction or interference. If you see it, call it.

One of the things I love to see is an obstruction or interference call made simultaneously by all the umpires on the field. Sort of sells the point!

I was on the field when this happened in a 3-man crew. We all had the obstruction call. Defensive team's coaches reactions were "Hmmmmmm. Since y'all made that call, won't do me any good at all to argue that one."