The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Does anyone know if there is a rule about being unable to use a fast pitch bat in a slow pitch game? If there is what is rhe rule number.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 05:34am
VaASAump

In ASA, NFHS, PONY, and NCAA, no such rule. Legal as long as the bat meets the requirements of a legal softball bat.

Serg
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 06:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by djl111d
Does anyone know if there is a rule about being unable to use a fast pitch bat in a slow pitch game? If there is what is rhe rule number.
Where do people come up with this stuff?

Speaking ASA, a bat is a bat, period. FP, SP or any other type of description is designated by the manufacturer.

Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

If some umpires knew the rules of the game some questions would not be asked. It came up when an ASA umpire said that we could not use a FP bat in a SP game.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Then Mike's comment is directed at that umpire, not you. Where do umpires come up with such made up rulings?
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Then Mike's comment is directed at that umpire, not you. Where do umpires come up with such made up rulings?
My comment was rhetorical. Obviously, many folks, players, coaches and umpires alike, don't bother finding out the actual rules before going out on the field.

In this case, I wouldn't doubt if some coach previously sold this umpire on this myth and s/he carries it along as fact.

All the more reason umpires should read the book, attend a clinic, read the book, attend another clinic, read the book, attend a school and clinic, etc.

Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 10:19am
Ref Ump Welsch

Angry

I had a player ask me about her bat being legal or illegal. She played in a league where the umpires wouldn't let her use the bat because they thought it was illegal. I asked her why they said that. She said their response was that since she was the only one in the leagues they worked, it had to be illegal. I was like, puhleeze! Looked up on the ASA website. Her bat is not on the non-approved list. I printed it off and told her to take it with her to the league. The umpires were "dumbfounded" that such a good looking colorful bat wasn't illegal! Sheesh!
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
Looked up on the ASA website. Her bat is not on the non-approved list. I printed it off and told her to take it with her to the league. The umpires were "dumbfounded" that such a good looking colorful bat wasn't illegal! Sheesh!
Did you do the PDF with the pretty, colorful pictures so they could enjoy the wide range of hues and, er, dyes????
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 03:27pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Talking

Yeah, I printed the PDF file with color. I hope they didn't go blind when they read it, hee hee!