The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

What do you do when you have an overbearing TD? There was one at a regional near here over the weekend. The guy is also an umpire and overstepped his bounds several times. Do you as an umpire say something, or go to the tournament UIC and let him handle it?

And if the UIC doesn't handle it...
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

go to the UIC. If he doesnt handle it, let it go unless the director is coming to your field to tell you how to ump..if he IS doing that, cut him short and send him to see the UIC
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

In order to answer your question, it may be helpful to get more details around "overstepping his bounds".

About the only interaction I have with TDs when I am working a tournament is a "hello" as I am going to or coming from my field.

Probably best to go to the UIC, but I would still like to know what happened.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Situations would help for me to let you know what I would do, depends on severity of his / her actions how upset and how high I would escalate things. But generally speaking I would look to the UIC to deal with it. Like I said depends on severity but if UIC didn't take care of it or it was bad enough I would also go up the ladder. JO or Fast / Slow state UIC (depending on tourney), State UIC, Appropiate state commissioner. As far as I know that is about all you can do but beware of the political / good-old-boy mentality as you can get yourself blackballed if you don't pick your fights well!
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Part of the TD's job is to be totally irrelevant to the working umpire.....and Vice Versa... ignore him unles he comes to the field
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

An example

1. I wasn't there.
2. Some of the umpires have come to me...and I am seeking sage advice. Thanks for the sage advice given so far.
3. One example given to me was that a "dead ball," not a DDB, should be called on all illegal pitches.
4. It was so bad that one of the umpires said he was "Going to go take a (insert TD's name here)" as he walked toward the Men's Room.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

"One example given to me was that a "dead ball," not a DDB, should be called on all illegal pitches"

What, TD just said this? Or did he walk on to the field to try to administer it? Ignore a TD who makes up rules unless it affects you on the field. I can't imagine how, short of him walking ONTO the field, he could affect my job during a game. (And if he walked onto the field, I'd have no trouble ejecting him, politics-be-damned.)
Old Sun Jul 31, 2005, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like the TD I had in La. two weeks ago. During a game I am calling he comes
to me and says that he notices that I am allowing several of the girls to wear jewerly.
(all noted had small studs in their ears). I replied, 'Yes, it is no
problem, allowed in AFA if I, as the umpire, don't deem it dangerous. Sent him to
UIC.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.