The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Did a Tourny this weekend and the situation was brought up that on one of the teams the coach was swearing, (not loud enough that fans, or blues could hear) and throwing gloves at his players. From what I hear 99 % of this was directed to his own daughter, but of course this also spilled over his other players.

At the begining of the second day we were asked by the Tourny director to keep and eye/ear out for this coach.

In my opinion if I see this I don't care if it is his daughter he is cussing out or thowing gloves at he will be out of the Tourny for USC.

Nothing happend, but from what I hear his team lost big in the first game of the second day, and was sent packing.
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rattlehead
the coach was swearing, (not loud enough that fans, or blues could hear)
Who cares. If no one heard it, how do you know?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rattlehead
the coach was ... throwing gloves at his players.
He's gone.
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

This is an abusive coach:

Coach Allegedly Paid Player to Hit Boy

By ALLISON SCHLESINGER, Associated Press Writer Fri Jul 15, 7:39 PM ET

PITTSBURGH - A T-ball coach allegedly paid one of his players $25 to hurt an 8-year-old mentally disabled teammate so he wouldn't have to put the boy in the game, police said Friday.
ADVERTISEMENT

Mark R. Downs Jr., 27, of Dunbar, is accused of offering one of his players the money to hit the boy in the head with a baseball, police said. Witnesses told police Downs didn't want the boy to play in the game because of his disability.

Police said the boy was hit in the head and in the groin with a baseball just before a game, and didn't play, police said.

"The coach was very competitive," state police Trooper Thomas B. Broadwater said. "He wanted to win."

Downs has an unpublished telephone number and couldn't immediately be reached for comment Friday. It was unclear whether he had an attorney.

He was arrested and arraigned Friday on charges including criminal solicitation to commit aggravated assault and corruption of minors. He was released from jail on an unsecured bond.

The alleged assault happened June 27 in North Union Township, about 40 miles southeast of Pittsburgh, authorities said.

The boy's mother asked state police to investigate her son's injuries because she suspected Downs wanted to keep the boy off the field, despite a league rule that required each player to participate in three innings a game, Broadwater said.

Eric Forsythe, the president of the R.W. Clark Youth Baseball League, said Downs had two daughters on the T-ball team.

League organizers investigated accusations against Downs before the T-ball season ended earlier this month but could not prove that he did anything wrong. If Downs is convicted of any crime, he won't be allowed to be a coach next year, Forsythe said. The league is not affiliated with Little League International.

Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

"At the begining of the second day we were asked by the Tourny director to keep and eye/ear out for this coach."

Why didn't the TD do his/her job, and observe the coach himself/herself?

Bob
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

Dukat,
I don't know the coach or league people involved in that story. I agree, if it's accurate, that the coach is abusive - and should be charged with everything possible under the law. But, some of the stories that I've read are stating that's not really what happened.

For Rattlehead's coach - since I can't hear him, he didn't say anything that I'm going to take action on. And I agree with Bob's question - Get the TD or representative to one of those games with nothing else to do except watch this coach.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Dukat,
I don't know the coach or league people involved in that story. I agree, if it's accurate, that the coach is abusive - and should be charged with everything possible under the law. But, some of the stories that I've read are stating that's not really what happened.

For Rattlehead's coach - since I can't hear him, he didn't say anything that I'm going to take action on. And I agree with Bob's question - Get the TD or representative to one of those games with nothing else to do except watch this coach.
Yes, if that story is accurate, the that coach should be banned from coaching, and
probably from being around children.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.