The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Worst Shot You've Ever Taken? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/21240-worst-shot-youve-ever-taken.html)

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Sat Jul 09, 2005 08:12pm

..and walked away from? Heres one of mine: Local mod FP league; one of the harder throwers in the area. B managed to tick the ball back JUST right hits DIRECTLY back onto my right shoulder piece..and my arm went NUMB for about 2 minutes..literally flopping around..man did that one sting! Funny thing is that it hit so directly on the shoulder that the bruise didnt form there..but the blood from the broken vessel trickled down and formed a nice one a bit up from my armpit! Nice one to show all the guys though! And made me notorious enough that a week later at the local bragging rights tourney, the pitchers DAD wanted to see it! I know for sure that w/o my protector,I woulda had a broken bone somewhere...

Of course the reason I posted this is that today at a 16U PONY qualifier I took a nice one on my forearm when the P & C got crossed up on signals...I gutted out that batter, but I walked right over to the one team (who was hosting the tourney)and got ice and a cold bag on that sucker as soon as that AB was done! Its one of those where I got the infamous Stitch Burn...lol

mo99 Sat Jul 09, 2005 08:42pm

I took a good shot in an 18U tournament with a hard throwing pitcher.A ball was fouled back and it struck me directly in the adams apple.I had an extended frame mask but the ball still managed to hit me in the throat.Very difficult to call balls and strikes for an inning or so.I now use a throat guard on my extended frame mask.Didnt let anyone know I was hurting,but that one really hurt!

Jeff
NCAA Umpire
NFHS Umpire
ASA Umpire

SRW Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:46am

Flip the coin at the 14A/B Regional National Qualifier. Home team takes the field. Pitcher throws one warmup of her 5, and I see her hand do something funny. I setup behind the catcher for the second pitch to see whatever I can. Catcher doesn't know I'm there, and lets the inside pitch go to the backstop. Well, guss what - I'm there! The pitch was a fastball, and hit me right on the inner right thigh. Two weeks later the bruise is still sore and about 5" in diameter. Last time I set up to see a warmup pitch without letting the catcher know I'm there.

wadeintothem Sun Jul 10, 2005 08:34pm

some of worst shots ive taken that come to mind happened this weekend and mens B&C FP tourney, because it just happened.

Yesterday I'm PU, Pitcher pitches a fastball, catcher makes no attempt to catch the ball as far as I cant tell and it hits me straight on the shin guard. the ball was moving.. and its left a huge bruise & bump on my shin.. and i have decent shin protectors. I may need to look into other ones though, that shot got me thinking. It hit so hard I thought the dang things broke.

today, a brain fart.. I am BU in C, ball to LF, LF fielding, runner running between 2b and 3b, I go down on a knee to get out of the way of a throw and took the throw right to the back of the head, it was quite a shot and luckily i'm hard headed, but a lesson was learned...

JV this year which i believe i posted here when it happed but R1@1b stealing, I'm alone and begin to move out to the left to watch the play and a girl swining the bat for a practice swing hit be square in the mask... luckily i hadnt remove it yet or i would have lost teeth...

As i sit here thinking, i see to take a lot of shots but thats enough I guess.

FUBLUE Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:03pm

Took a foul ball in Men's ball (higher level) on my left shoulder/collarbone without a chest protector...left a bruise for about three weeks...it was black. Ironically enough, that's the last weekend I went without a chest protector.

Took one in the right hand this year in the second inning of a game...straight pitch to the middle finger...doc said the knuckle wasn't broken but agreed with the trainers diagnosis of the knuckle "drooping"...three innings later, take one square off the cup.

Best thing about hit was by the end of the inning my knuckle was so swollen I couldn't flex my hand completely, so it looked like I was flipping the bird on every strike call.

chuck chopper Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:36am

Took one right in the front of my left foot. Hit the front of my toes, not the top. I don't wear steel toe shoes. Had blood under my nails all summer long.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:50am

A jigger of George Dickel mash.

;)

SF Mon Jul 11, 2005 01:27pm

Yesterday... ugh. I forgot my shin guards at home and I went to do plate in a 12U game. About the fourth inning the coach puts in his backup catcher and she let's a low pitch go under her right into my right ankle. I don't remember it hurting that bad at the time, but by the time I got home I couldn't walk and my ankle was swollen about double it's size. To be sure the last time I ever forget my shin guards.

Also, Friday night, 14U I got hit by foul balls off some fast pitchers. Upper arm, hip, big toe and wrist. I thought I broke my wrist when it hit, I couldn't feel my arm for the rest of the game.

Just hasn't been my week I guess ;)

chuck chopper Mon Jul 11, 2005 01:30pm

Never have understood why in faster pitched games, some of us refuse to put our arms behind us. I appreciate the Macho image of leaving your arms out front, but common sense has to prevail sometimes.
Try doing some baseball with your arms out front !

wadeintothem Mon Jul 11, 2005 01:38pm

I put my hands behind my knees just prior to the pitch... lesson learned awhile ago... also baseball that can be the end of you..

mcrowder Mon Jul 11, 2005 02:52pm

First day umpiring, many years ago. Went to get my equipment that very day. No one (neither my trainer, nor the store) mentioned the neck-protector. Last batter of my only game at the plate fouls one straight back into my neck. Hit my Adam's Apple square on and made me gag. Probably could have killed me if the pitcher was much faster.

whiskers_ump Mon Jul 11, 2005 04:46pm

Jokingly,

If pitch had been faster, batter might have missed it altogether. Those foul balls
seem to pick up speed regardless of how fast the pitch is thrown. They hurt like hell.

Worst I got hit was from a thrown ball from the outfield in a college game. This throw
was terrible. Broke two ribs and cracket the third.

WestMichBlue Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:46pm

Two whoppers of note.

Baseball game several years ago, big H.S. kid throwing in the mid 80's; high hard one that the bat barely tipped over the catcher's glove directly to the center of my big old iron mask. At 6'1" and 270 I thought I was immovable, but I ended up flat on my back looking up at the stars. Strange, I thought - this is a mid-afternoon game!

Last year was the worst. Men's B league FP; I am in "C" well into the outfield (these guys play as deep as SP shortstops). Bases loaded, ball into CF; I am hustling inside but I only make it to about the baseline when I turn and see the ball whiz by my head going to home. Catcher jumps out, cuts ball and throws to 3B. I pivot in time to see the ball get past F5. Within a fraction of a second F6 has fielded the ball and thrown a bullet to 2B.

The only problem was that there was something in the way between him and 2B - ME! The ball ricocheted off my left arm, leaving behind a cracked bone - and into my ribs, leaving a melon sized ugly black purple bruise that lasted two weeks.

I left the game, and will never umpire men's FP again. Their game is just too fast for me. I'll stick with the JO and H.S. games.

WMB

CecilOne Tue Jul 12, 2005 07:33am

Wow, the wisdom to know when! Congratulations.

mick Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:29am

Cool shots

Working baseball.

Foul tip between my mask and vest, ball stopped just touching my neck. Moved my head, caught the ball and gave it to catcher.

Foul tip to left armpit buried between vest body and left bicep.
No arm, no harm. Lifted arm caught the ball and gave it to catcher. ;)
mick

bkbjones Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:37am

Dislocated jaw

Many moons ago in Muleshoe (yes, Muleshoe), TX.

Senior Babe Ruth. Kid is throwin somewhere in the 90s (made it to AAA and all of a sudden - dead arm). Top of 7, 2 outs, me and this kid have a perfect game going. Batter meekly tips one back just over top of catcher's mitt and kablooey.

We needed one more strike to end game and tournament...so I stuck it out...called a muffled strike three. Partner drove me 3 blocks to hospital where they examined and x-rayed and popped jaw back into place.

Still hurts when I yawn too much (only happens during slow pitch games), and it's been 22 years.

coachsara Tue Jul 12, 2005 03:10pm

ouch

I thought mine was bad until I read some of these.

Dislocated shoulder (not to mention the ugliest bruise) last week after taking a 14-under fast pitch foul off the shoulder. It caught me between the pads.

going to invest in a better chest protector...

BuggBob Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:05am

My worst shot came as a player, not an umpire. Ball skipped of the plate right into my cup. You don't talk in a high squeaky voice, you just vomit. There is no breathing in or out, just vomiting. Spent the next several days with my package packed in ice.

JamesV Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:18am

Stop Stop Stop already!! Please!! I am in pain just reading these posts.
Where can I purchase hockey goalie protection type equipment?

whiskers_ump Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:18pm

Anywhere they sell Hockey supplies? LOL

U_of_I_Blue Wed Jul 13, 2005 02:18pm

Worst shot:
Took a fastball square to the wrist doing Jr. High baseball, kid was probably pitching mid to upper 70s. Within about 3 minutes, you could have fit that baseball inside my wrist it was that big. Never did get it checked out, it still hurts if i tap on it today (the shot was a year and a half ago).

Wors string of shots:
In the course of 1 inning (about 10 minutes from first shot to last). Foul ball off of my left arm just under the protector, foul ball off of my right hand, 2 fouls on consecutive pitches straight to the mask (both hit and dropped right in front of me, not mere deflections), and a pitch in the dirt that bounced untouched right into my cup. This was also Jr. High summer ball and it was a couple of weeks ago. Home coach being the funny guy he is walks out with about 6 bags of ice before the next inning. He truly felt sorry for me back there. Visiting coach not to be outdone, offered to let me sit in their rather large cooler they had there and he'd go get bags of ice from the local store. I'll remember that inning for a long time.

-Josh

TexBlue Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:32pm

8 years ago, I was doing a 14-U FP game. I was the PU. My mechanics were sloppy and it was all my fault. I got into the slot with my legs spread into a V. The batter fouled one back right into the inner part of my left knee. If I'd been down right, it would have hit the front of the shin guard on the knee pad. Anyway, I tried to finish the game, barely finished the inning. When I got out to the truck, I tried to take off the equipment. I found out that my knee was so swollen that I had to cut my pants to get the pants leg up enought to see my shin guard strap had sunk into the swelled skin. Missed the rest of the summer on that one.

Sloppy and lazy will bite you in the @$$ everytime.

buddha69 Sat Jul 16, 2005 06:40am

I got one, it is in rec ball jr. girls fastpitch. The pitcher can throw pretty good. while the the ball comes in and hits the ground on the left side of the plate, the batter swings, the catcher miss the ball, the ball comes and hits me in the jewels, but it does not hit me directly, it comes in under my cup, I wear a curve banana shape cup, dam if it didn't come under the cup. all i could say is ohhhhhhhhhh, i almost fell to my knees, but I got up turn to the backstop and held the fence up for a couple of minutes to recover, while my partner comes up, she is a female, and jokingly she said you know that there is nothing that I can't do to help.

rhsc Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:20pm

ouch

Behind the plate, b/r at 2nd, line drive sharp up the middle. B/R is fast, ball fielded clean and thrown to cut-off who fires it home. Im in position for the play at the plate. This is where I find out he has a gun, but the sites are off. He hits me right in the right kidney. I might have been a little out of position, but not that bad.
I couldve cried it hurt awful for several days. Who wouldve thought we needed kidney belts?http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/q/weep.gif

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:27am

Re: ouch

Quote:

Originally posted by rhsc
Behind the plate, b/r at 2nd, line drive sharp up the middle. B/R is fast, ball fielded clean and thrown to cut-off who fires it home. Im in position for the play at the plate. This is where I find out he has a gun, but the sites are off. He hits me right in the right kidney. I might have been a little out of position, but not that bad.
I couldve cried it hurt awful for several days. Who wouldve thought we needed kidney belts?http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/q/weep.gif

The late Bernie Berman, who was our local assignor,HS association founder (and NYS ASA UIC for a lonng time),always said that you could wear EVERY piece of protective gear available,and that ball WILL find that one microscopic piece of body NOT protected...;)

and oh yes; did you pee blood??

[Edited by ASA/NYSSOBLUE on Jul 17th, 2005 at 11:29 AM]

SWFLguy Mon Jul 18, 2005 03:48pm

A couple come to mind from HS Fast Pitch--
once with a lefty batter I took a foul ball to
my right elbow-- it popped a bursa and swelled
up like a balloon !! I wrapped it in ice and went
out on the bases for the rest of the game.
the other was a foul ball that bounced up and
caught my ring finger-- my wedding band cut
my finger !
After that, I also began putting my hands behind
my knees before the pitch !!

deeno27 Tue Jul 19, 2005 09:03am

I'm the PU in an adult co-ed low division slow pitch game. My catcher (female) is afraid of the ball, and stands/squats about 4 feet behind where she really should be. I have to stand beside her/almost in front of her to be able to call balls and strikes.

You guessed it....the batter foul tips me right in the face. Fortunately I kept all of my teeth, but I did have a very large gash inside of my mouth with quite a bit of blood. I was stunned, but it didn't really hurt--actually my face went a little numb. I told my partner I could continue, but if blood started to trickle down onto my shirt to let me know and I'd leave.

I finished that game (and the next) and then went to the ER. I called hubby and said "guess where I am". Thank goodness it wasn't anything major (no stitches because it was in my mouth per ER doc), but this was over two months ago, and I still have a knot in my cheek where things have mostly healed up.

Lesson learned: next time move the catcher or just call everything a "ball" until she moves into proper position. Screw being a "nice gal".

Just think of all the times a player really wanted to sock one of us in the jaw!!

Diana