The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Was reviewing proposed rule changes and comments from NFHS Softball Rules Committee Meeting. A change requiring double first base was discussed but no action was taken.

One of the cons listed was:
e. More difficult for umpires to judge close plays.

I don't know about you, but I had been thinking all along that it made it easier.

BTW (I can hijack my own thread, right?), Florida will experiment with 43 feet in 2006.
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

I like the safety base at 1B. I dont think it makes it easier or harder to call a play. It does make it a safer game though.
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

I niether like, nor dislike the safety base.

Were it not used, we could eliminate some rules in the book, and have a bit less to watch for. None of that is a real bother to me, it's there, it seems to work OK.

The only gripe I have is,Why is the double base really needed? I call a lot of baseball, we don't use 'em there and don't have any problems. There are similar "force plays" made at 2B, 3B, and HP. Why are double bases not needed there?
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

I really like the double first base. I think it adds to the safety of the game. I don't notice it any easier or harder to make a call, but I think it saves ankles! Again JMO but I think they should put it in! IMO it is needed at first and not the other bases cause 1st is the only base you can run through, 2nd 3rd and home you slide into 1st you are still running full blast when you would make contact with the fielder's unprotected ankle. Not that a hard slide wouldn't do damage, but a cleet to the achilles at full speed can ruin you summer!!!!!
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Since we are all offering opinions here

I believe the double first base is a waste of time and effort. A fielder is still permitted to track an errant throw into the path of an unsuspecting runner with no penalty per se.

I do believe it makes it difficult for veteras which had to make an adjustment from the single base. The double base widens the frame of the play slightly and withont practice can bother some umpires.

If you want the environment to be safe at 1B, teach the players how to play the position. This is not being done AT ANY LEVEL on a consistant basis. I don't know if it is laziness or the players just cannot adapt, but there really is no excuse for it.

A properly trained F3 NEVER places any part of their foot on top of the base when receiving a throw as there is no need to touch anything, but the side of the base.
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Opinion:
I do not like double 1st base. Agree with Mike R. that F3 needs to be properly taught to play the position. Also for equality, why double 1st base in softball and not baseball?
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by U of M Sam
Also for equality, why double 1st base in softball and not baseball?
Couldn't tell you except that you must understand, the two games are not the same and the rules do not follow the same philosophy.

Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
I believe the double first base is a waste of time and effort.
You forgot money.

If you accept as a fact of the game that the proper way to play the position is not being taught and is unlikely to be taught / played, then ASA (and others) mandating the double first base makes sense.

While it is true that it does not offer a safer play in all situations, it is true that it does offer a safer play in the routine play at first with a F3 playing the way most F3's play in the JO game. After all, these same coaches are teaching the F3 to get in the way of runners all the time. Which, of course, also led in part to the adjustment in the OBS rule and the infamous POE wording. (JMO, obviously).
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Crazy as it may be, our local youth baseball league has adopted the orange base at lower levels, and adopted the ASA rules around it's use.

Personally, I see no use for the thing except in very low level coed adult slowpitch (the same levels where you might be inclined to use the duplicate plate 10 feet away from home plate.).
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Couldn't tell you except that you must understand, the two games are not the same and the rules do not follow the same philosophy.

Mike, I realize that baseball and softball do not generally follow the same philosophy although softball athletes need to learn to properly play 1st base and understand obstruction. I enjoy umpiring softball (fastpitch) over baseball. I think the double 1st base is not necessary.
Sam
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mike, I realize that baseball and softball do not generally follow the same philosophy although softball athletes need to learn to properly play 1st base and understand obstruction. I enjoy umpiring softball (fastpitch) over baseball. I think the double 1st base is not necessary.
Sam
Sam,

I appreciate that. You asked the question that compared two separate sports. I noted what I believe is part of the reason that many folks (including members of the IOC) fail to grasp in like comparisons including equipment and mechanics. BTW, baseball players don't have much more of an understanding of obstruction than anyone else.

Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,
Fair enough-the education continues.
Thank you,
Sam