The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Wink

What's the general opinion of a PU that wears his shin guards outside long pants?
Credit given for wearing protective equipment but looks pretty tacky; almost as bad as shin guards with shorts!!
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by emaxos
What's the general opinion of a PU that wears his shin guards outside long pants?
Credit given for wearing protective equipment but looks pretty tacky; almost as bad as shin guards with shorts!!
Tacky, amateurish, sandlot....
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Bad. Really bad.

Sara
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Don't feel too bad. Believe it or not, we have an umpire (I am being WAY too kind calling him that) that wore this combination. Blue shirt, navy blue Bike shorts, no pants, and shin guards over top of white kneehigh socks. He brought a folding chair on the field for during the game and a BIG beach towel that he draped on the fence and a 3 gallon water cooler on the field. I thought it couldn't get worse but hold the phone, he then had to try to umpire. His calls and mechanics matched his uniform perfectly. Dave
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Can you say BOZO?
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
I have seen that done before. It really looks bad and ugly for an umpire that does that.
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 05:04am
Official Forum Member

Never, never, never...clown, clown, clown
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by emaxos
Shin guards on the outside of long pants is a very poor reflection for the umpire (and I think it looks stupid).
Wear your proper clothing, have protective equipment fit properly, shine your shoes (I have seen many "umpires" wear white tennis shoes) and wear a hat.
I think it is poor to see a PU wearing a hat backwards. I have even seen a PU have the "beanie" style hat and even wear that backwards.
I am not sure how many people observe the umpires appearence although I have been taught to dress properly while being PU or BU.
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Our HS association, Thank God, started fining people about five years ago for being OOU. People groused at first, but we have gotten it to the point where NObody is getting fined! What is also nice is that the 'peer pressure' has crossed over to our ASA/PONY association (about 70-75% of us work regular league action)..so now we got one nice lookin bunch of umpires here!
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Phashonable

One of the funniest/saddest sights I have ever seen on a field was about a year ago.

The good thing: ASA regulation shirt, clean and unwrinkled. Looked mighty fine.

Hockey goalie mask. OK, I don't like it, but I can live with it.

Lefty. Called strikes with left hand. Same with outs. I asked: nothing physically wrong with right arm. Was able to use indicator in right hand.

Navy blue shorts. White "tube" socks. Old soccer shin guards over socks. Tennis shoes.

And his strike zone was just as crappy.

Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

In addition to what everyone else has already said - can anyone say little league?? Maybe even beginning little league - as there are some folks in that organization who are serious about the things they should be serious about and I really don't care to irritate them.
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Phashonable

Quote:
Originally posted by bkbjones
One of the funniest/saddest sights I have ever seen on a field was about a year ago.

The good thing: ASA regulation shirt, clean and unwrinkled. Looked mighty fine.

Hockey goalie mask. OK, I don't like it, but I can live with it.

Lefty. Called strikes with left hand. Same with outs. I asked: nothing physically wrong with right arm. Was able to use indicator in right hand.

Navy blue shorts. White "tube" socks. Old soccer shin guards over socks. Tennis shoes.

And his strike zone was just as crappy.
John: Was this character an SMSUA member?
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Referring to ASA umpires.......

My pet peeve is when an experienced ump knows better to 'look' the part but gets lazy with their appearance. Too often I show up to work games dressed for the job and my partner or adjacent field mate comes looking like a little league Dad who was just drafted from the stands.

Specifically, if you are gonna wear the ASA logo shirt, then at least go with a blue shorts or acceptable pants. Likewise, ditch the regular tennis shoes and invest in a pair of black spikes or acceptable turf shoe. And make use of a hat but never wear any other hat than an ASA logo hat, ditch the trucker hat or college/pro logo.

When I purchased my basic gear (ASA shirt, ASA hat, shoes, and matching shorts/pants) I believe that I spent less than $150. Throw in a clicker, ball bag, and plate brush and maybe you'll hit $175.

I always make it a point to comment on slackers as tactfully as possible but surely in a pointed discussion. I feel I owe it to the sport if not to at least inform some of those guys/gals that simply don't give it a second thought or are clueless about the expectations to begin with.

I WISH THE ASSIGNORS WOULD BE MORE DILIGENT WITH STRESSING THE PROFESSIONALISM AND EXPECT PROPER MINIMUM ATTAIRE!
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Yes

SRW,
Yep.

And Robmoz and others are exactly right. They call it a "uniform" because we should be "uniform" in how we dress. It's prescribed for all, very easily obtainable, and anyone working ASA ball who can't wear the uniform (in my very humble opinion) is stealing money from those of us who will/do wear the proper uniform.
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

"SRW,
Yep.

And Robmoz and others are exactly right. They call it a "uniform" because we should be "uniform" in how we dress"

Amen to that, John. As a Navy brat & Marine OCS grad - dropped out of college & they did not require me to serve enlisted time (and I greatly regret not having done any real military time))... If you are going to wear a uniform, wear it right!