Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ToledoCYOBlue
Question

ASA, Adult co-ed slow pitch.

Is there a rule that says the outfielders must position themselves a certain distance behind the infielders? In a recent game, the BU actually called time before a pitch to move our outfielders back (they were starting 20-25' behind the baseline). He said that they must be at least 40' beyond the baseline. When questioned whether this was an ASA standard rule, or a local rule, he stated it was ASA. Does this rule actually exist?

Thanks,
Charlie
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 11:39pm
Ref Ump Welsch

There is no ASA rule about how far back they have to stand. They just have to have 4 outfielders in positions normally played by said outfielders. Only time this umpire should have asked them to move back if one moved up and tried to play infield.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

I don't call slowpitch, but I have seen some slowpitch fields with an arc drawn in the outfield. I assume it is to mark how far back the outfielders have to stand. I have no idea whose rules they use on that field, but U-trip is big here in slowpitch.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
I don't call slowpitch, but I have seen some slowpitch fields with an arc drawn in the outfield. I assume it is to mark how far back the outfielders have to stand. I have no idea whose rules they use on that field, but U-trip is big here in slowpitch.
I played in a U-trip league that used the painted arc. It was bloody annoying when you had a team that could drop balls between your infield and outfield all game long. I believe it was a local league rule.

Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

The co-ed leagues I worked used the 140' arc. But ONLY when women were at bat. There were no restrictions for male batters.

Bob