The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Fast pitch - batter "catches" the pitch (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/20896-fast-pitch-batter-catches-pitch.html)

Dakota Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:37am

This link was posted under the slow pitch thread. Since the rules are different WRT stealing, etc. for fast pitch, I'm hoping to move responses to this to a new thread.

(I'll probably fail miserably, but oh well...)

Here is the clip.

http://www.pianorosoftball.it/video/SimoBox.html

Was the out call proper? Why or why not? If not, what should the call have been? If not, are there situations where the out call would be correct.

ASA, or whatever (state your rule book).

U_of_I_Blue Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:46am

I can't think of a reason to justify an out here. I would think this would have to be treated the same as a batter sticking an elbow into a pitch intentionally. No attempt to avoid the pitch, I've got a dead ball and either a strike or a ball called depending on the location of the pitch. Don't have rulebooks with me at work so I can't quote a rule I'm using.
-Josh

mcrowder Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:31pm

I can only see an out here if a runner was stealing 2nd at the time.

U_of_I_Blue Thu Jun 16, 2005 01:15pm

MC-
That's a good point. The thought of a runner stealing hadn't crossed my mind. In that case, batter out, runner back to first.

Edit:

Now, here's what I'm wondering now. Say count is something and 2. Batter sticks her hand like that over the plate. Dead ball. Do you call both batter and runner out much like interference by a retired batter, or do you still just sit the batter down and send the runner back to first?

-Josh

[Edited by U_of_I_Blue on Jun 16th, 2005 at 02:29 PM]

mcrowder Thu Jun 16, 2005 02:07pm

Maybe picking nits here, but Batter would be out for interference before the strikeout was completed.

U_of_I_Blue Thu Jun 16, 2005 02:41pm

True.

My thinking was, with 2 strikes and a pitch down the middle though, her sticking her hand out prevents 2 outs (her strikeout and a possible out at 2nd).

-Josh

Dakota Thu Jun 16, 2005 02:44pm

Would it also be interference if, on a steal attempt, the batter merely leaned into the pitch?

softball_junky Thu Jun 16, 2005 03:02pm

If the pitch was in the strike zone wouldn't it be a dead ball and a strike? If it was the third strike batter would be out runner would have to return to their base. If the pitch was a ball then you might have inference.

SRW Thu Jun 16, 2005 04:10pm

Don't know if it changes your thought or not...

...but look at third base - there's a runner.

And the way the teams come off the field after the ump calls the out leads me to believe that there were two outs at the TOP.

U_of_I_Blue Thu Jun 16, 2005 05:28pm

You know what? This blue may have nailed it. If the situation with 2 strikes and 2 outs in this game, the blue got it right period (as long as the pitch was a strike, it looked like it from the video). I highly doubt we're going to have to worry about this though. Chances are no one in their right mind will actually do what this girl did.

-Josh

tcannizzo Thu Jun 16, 2005 06:43pm

The pitch was nowhere near a strike. I don't see an out here unless it was INT if it was a 1st and 3rd sitch, with R2 stealing 2B.

But an INT would be both hands up as in DEAD BALL, not just a hammer-out.

I don't get it.

Also interesting that the offense didn't fuss about the call. There must be more than what was on the video.

mcrowder Fri Jun 17, 2005 07:55am

SRW - the existence of a runner on third does not mean that there was a play. Runner was not going anywhere, and not leading off in some extraordinary way. To have interference you have to have a play that was interfered with. If there's no R1, I can't see a justification for an interference call.

The more I look at this, the more it seems PU was ruling this a strike, and strike 3. We have an odd angle, so it's hard to know if this was close to the zone. Batter does put the hand forward, so it's possible.

Antonella Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:01am

The only rule we found to justify such a call was ISF
Rule 7. Sec.6-l point 2(italian: 2. Intralcia intenzionalmente il ricevitore mentre si trova nel box del battitore).
But I agree with those who said a simple dead ball call + a 'don't do that anymore' will be enough.
Apply INTF rule only IF a steal play occurr.

I would like to underline just two little things:
- the ump was a baseball ump (a GOOD baseball one) and he probably didn't know ANYTHING about the rule I cited before
- quite funny the call was a (???) wellcome call since no-one said absolutely nothing about it (if you take a look to the batter... she seems to assent to the ump's call like 'you're right - it was my fault).

Thanks to everybody. I will tell the others about this thread.

A.

SRW Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:24am

Quote:

Originally posted by mcrowder
SRW - the existence of a runner on third does not mean that there was a play. Runner was not going anywhere, and not leading off in some extraordinary way. To have interference you have to have a play that was interfered with. If there's no R1, I can't see a justification for an interference call.

The more I look at this, the more it seems PU was ruling this a strike, and strike 3. We have an odd angle, so it's hard to know if this was close to the zone. Batter does put the hand forward, so it's possible.

mcrowder - I don't dispute that... I was merely showing/telling my "partners" (i.e.: y'all) some more info to help the decision making process.

I think either the PU called strike 3, or was in "shock" like we all are about this play... and just ruled her out, but didn't know exactly why. He didn't appear sure of his call, and he didn't signal dead ball - which he should have done anytime the pitch hits the batter. He just hammered... either an out or a strike.

tzme415 Fri Jun 17, 2005 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Antonella

- quite funny the call was a (???) wellcome call since no-one said absolutely nothing about it (if you take a look to the batter... she seems to assent to the ump's call like 'you're right - it was my fault).

Thanks to everybody. I will tell the others about this thread.

A.

I saw that too, it was like the batter knew the call was coming. It makes you wonder if she had done the same thing before and been warned not to do it again.

Tru_in_Blu Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:21pm

catching up...

This thread obviously started way before I got here. Can't see the video, maybe it's not there anymore. I like the quirky plays and posted the hit by pitch thread a little earlier. Came across this one while looking at similar subjects.

Sorry for re-hashing old stuff. New to me.

I think the correct call might be from ASA Rule 7, Section 6.
The Batter is Out
A. When the third strike is:
1. yada
2. yada
3. when the pitched ball, in the umpire's judgment, is prevented from entering the strike zone by actions of the batter other than hitting the ball.

I think this one could use some word-smithing.

It is supported by Rule 7, Section 5
A strike is called by the umpire:
M. When a pitched ball is prevented from entering the strike zone by any actions of the batter other than hitting the ball.
Effect: The ball is dead and a strike is called.

Ted

MNBlue Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:06am

We only can have an interference out if the batter is 'actively hindering the catcher while in the batter's box' (ASA 7.6.Q) or if the batter prevented the pitched ball from entering the strike zone (ASA 7.4.M) with 2 strikes on the batter.

We can only have the interference call (hindering) if there is a possible play. In my mind, someone would have to be stealing or a runner would have to be an undeniably dead duck (fell down in between bases). Without the potential for a play, I don't think I would rule interference.

Since the interference would not be interference until the batter touched the ball, and since the strike call for preventing a pitch to enter the strike zone would happen simultaneously, I think we could correctly rule that we could have (if there are 2 strikes) a strike out on the batter and an interference call to take out the runner closest to home (ASA 8.7.P). Or, with less than 2 strikes, interference on the batter, batter is out and return runners back to bases at TOP.