The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 22, 2005, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chiquita
One of my Leagues refuses to chalk in a batters box. I have given up that battle.....

The batters stand really close to the plate. If they step on the plate while not "swinging" at a pitch, is the batter out? Better yet can someone please explain the rule to me about stepping on home while batting.

Thanks in advance.....
Old Wed Jun 22, 2005, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

The inner line of the batter's box is 6" from the plate. ASA 2-3-C.

Prior to the pitch, the batter's feet must be completely within the batter's box. Since the lines are considered within the box, this means the batter's feet may be no closer than 6" to the plate before you allow a pitch. ASA 7-3-A.

The batter is out if the batter's foot is in contact with the plate when the bat and ball make contact. ASA 7-6-E.

There is no violation if the batter's foot is in contact with the plate and the bat and ball do not make contact.
Old Wed Jun 22, 2005, 03:44pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb NCAA

Quote:
Originally posted by chiquita
One of my Leagues refuses to chalk in a batters box. I have given up that battle.....

The batters stand really close to the plate. If they step on the plate while not "swinging" at a pitch, is the batter out? Better yet can someone please explain the rule to me about stepping on home while batting.

Thanks in advance.....
NCAA - "At the moment of bat-ball contact, the batter may not contact the pitch when any part of the foot is touching home plate, even though she may be touching the lines of the batter's box.

EFFECT - The batter shall be declared out immediately, whether the ball is fair or foul. The ball is dead."
Old Wed Jun 22, 2005, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I assume we are talking slow pitch,not fast pitch, as the pitcher would just bust a pitch inside to move the batter off the plate.Give the slow pitch batter a visual they will understand.Tell them they must stand at least the length of a 12 oz beer can away from the plate!!

Jeff
NCAA Umpire
NFHS Umpire
ASA Umpire
Old Wed Jun 22, 2005, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chiquita
Wink

Thanks Guys! Don't know how ive been doing this so long without all of your help! I had a really YAHOO batting last night and he kept steping on the plate, between pitches. It was bugging me....but he never touched the ball or crossed over the plate. So no call.
Old Wed Jun 22, 2005, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

On a similar note...

Just here at work since my 2 games were rained out tonight. Ah, you just gotta love Seattle. Anyway, what do y'all think about a PU "drawing" a line with their foot, the bat, or some other implement if there is not a chalked-in batter's box? I've never done it for the inside line of the box, but have made a mark for the front of it if I thought the batter was close to running up, out of the box on a slap or is just standing way up there, and is close to being out of the box. I even called a batter out for making contact while outside the box, when there was not chalk. I had quickly paced off 4 feet from the correct spot on the plate and drew a line with my foot in between innings. Coach grumbled, but was quiet after I showed him my line. Anyway, it seems a bit "bush-league" to do it as an umpire, but really, most of my fields this year have started with no chalk, or have lost it by the 3rd inning. What do you say?
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mo99
I assume we are talking slow pitch,not fast pitch, as the pitcher would just bust a pitch inside to move the batter off the plate.Give the slow pitch batter a visual they will understand.Tell them they must stand at least the length of a 12 oz beer can away from the plate!!

Jeff
NCAA Umpire
NFHS Umpire
ASA Umpire
Doesn't make any difference, Jeff. The umpire cannot allow the pitcher to pitch if the batter's feet are not entirely within the batter's box.

Therefore, the pitcher you just mentioned pitched through your stop sign and possibly at the batter. Some people would consider that USC, but you don't want to make that call which is why an umpire must assert his/her authority, hold up the pitch and TELL the batter to get in the box. If the batter doesn't respond, regardless of the game, start calling strikes.

Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

I was just making light of the situation Mike.In the fast pitch game,all fields in my area are always properly marked.In most cases,when a batter attempts to crowd the plate,within the confines of the batters box,you know an inside pitch is coming.

Jeff
NCAA Umpire
NFHS Umpire
ASA Umpire
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

I've also noticed that in my area the batter's box is rarely chalked for SP, in fact the chalk lines end about 3' from the plate. When a defensive team complains about a batter not being in the box, I simply reply 'What box?'. If the league wants me to call batters for being out of the box, then give me a box. So basically all I call is if the batter steps on or clearly in front of the plate. I know this is not completely correct and I don't like it. I am not going to guess where the box is and I am not going to bring a tape measure and mark my own, so I'll just call what I'm sure of. Either the teams will quit complaining about batters being out of the box or they will get the league to mark one.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tzme415
...or they will get the league to mark one.
Be careful what you ask for. I've seen some pretty goofy batter's boxes!
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mo99
I was just making light of the situation Mike.In the fast pitch game,all fields in my area are always properly marked.In most cases,when a batter attempts to crowd the plate,within the confines of the batters box,you know an inside pitch is coming.

Jeff
NCAA Umpire
NFHS Umpire
ASA Umpire
Jeff,

Sorry, I missed the smilie!

Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by tzme415
...or they will get the league to mark one.
Be careful what you ask for. I've seen some pretty goofy batter's boxes!
I wouldn't ask for it. I don't care if I ever have to call a player for being out of the batters box. But if they mark it, I'll call it how its marked and let the team captains complain to the league. Since I really only do Adult SP, I just tell them if they want it called then get the league to mark it correctly. I've done it and it isn't that hard.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

tzme...
I call for the Fox Valley Park District in Aurora and run across the same conditions. It is an unwritten rule/understanding that there is no batter's box and call the violations the same way you do (foot clearly in front of the plate or any part of the plate). One additional thing I will do is protect the pitcher from the batters that like to run up on a pitch and hit the ball way in front of the plate. I don't have many players that do this, but I have warned those that do even with the 'but there's no batter's box' arguement.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

I'm curious to know what in this entire thread has anything to do with "Steping on First Base".
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
I'm curious to know what in this entire thread has anything to do with "Steping on First Base".
I assume it should read "stepping on the plate" but one of the amazing and wonderful features of this board, along with the perpetually non-operational search function, is once you post the message at the top of a new thread, you cannot edit the "subject" line. Your only choices are to live with the typo or delete the entire thread.