The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

I umpire ASA slowpitch and I have a question about the shorthanded rule and beginning a game with 9 playes instead of 10.

According to 4.1.c #3 of the ASA rules, slowpitch has 10 fielders.

In section 4.1.d, it states that a team can begin or finish a game with one less player than the required number of players to start a game. If this occurs, the vacant position is listed last in the order, and when this position comes up in the order to bat, an out is taken.

Does this mean if a team begins a game with 9 players and a 10th player never shows up, eveytime the 10th spot in the order is reached, an out is called?

I was told tonight that if you start the game with 9 players, then no out is called when the 10th player should bat - that the out is only called if you started with 10 players and one of the players gets hurt, etc. and must leave the game.

What is the correct interpretation of the shorthanded rule regarding starting a game with 9 players and playing the entire game with 9 players?

Thanks!
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

by struct ASA rules... every time is an out.... league rules may be different
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

By ASA rules the 10th position would always be an out, but as azbigdawg stated league rules vary on this. I umpire in the suburbs of Chicago and each one has its own set of rules regarding this. Some even allow a game to start with 8 players with the idea being to avoid forfeits. Most of the leagues do NOT require the out be taken, but some do. It is important to know the local league rules, some of them can be strange.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Talking

"SOME" of them ?