The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NCAA and jewelry (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/20700-ncaa-jewelry.html)

DownTownTonyBrown Sun Jun 05, 2005 01:01am

NCAA Softball WS and jewelry

I hadn't noticed in previous years but this year it is very obvious that jewelry is allowed!

Holy Smokes! One pitcher looked to have 37 earrings... and that was in just one ear! Neclaces. Livestrong armbands.

I wasn't watching for tongue studs or belly-button baubles, but...

Isn't this stuff illegal? It is surely not part of their uniform.

Do other NCAA sports allow the athletes to wear jewelry? I don't think so.

What gives?

emaxos Sun Jun 05, 2005 07:44am

I thought it looked pretty bad myself.
However, there is no mention of the word jewelry anywhere in the NCAA rulebook.
Odd that something that is expressly forbidden in high school suddenly poses no risk one step up.

DNTXUM P Sun Jun 05, 2005 07:52am

The NCAA took the onus off umpires a couple of years ago regarding jewlery and placed it on the coaches. It is no longer our responsibility to police jewlery. If a coach thinks the jewlery is safe, then it is their liability should something happen.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jun 05, 2005 08:33am

Quote:

Originally posted by emaxos
I thought it looked pretty bad myself.
However, there is no mention of the word jewelry anywhere in the NCAA rulebook.
Odd that something that is expressly forbidden in high school suddenly poses no risk one step up.

Chief,

This isn't HS, it is college. The jewelry issue is one of liability.

These girls are legally adults and are responsible for their own well-being.

However, when the pitcher described above came in the game, once again, Fernandez showed that she had no working knowledge of the rules by stating that she believed jewelry was against the rules.

The prep these folks do for this announcing stint must take place in a ten minute meeting.

emaxos Sun Jun 05, 2005 09:06am

I understand that. I actually never felt that a total ban on jewelry was necessary at the Fed level if based on a safety risk. However, I suppose the threat of litigation changes the landscape.
The Cal pitcher just didn't present a good image and the Cal coach should insist that her players set a good example, especially for the young girls watching.
There's been enough said about the depth of the broadcaster's rules knowledge.

I have to admit that my real reason for posting this reply is to proudly brag that my DD will be playing at the D1 level next year (Southern Miss.)after picking up NJCAA All American honors.

DNTXUM P Sun Jun 05, 2005 06:21pm

have to admit that my real reason for posting this reply is to proudly brag that my DD will be playing at the D1 level next year (Southern Miss.)after picking up NJCAA All American honors.

Congrats on your DD gong to Southern Miss. They needed some players. I was there earlier this year and they were down to 10 players after their 3rd baseman broke her thumb in warm-ups. Catcher playing left and 1st baseman at 3rd. You will enjoy the beer garden out in left field. Fans in the beer garden kept coming and offering us food between games and after even though they lost the 1st 2 games of the series. I was sorry we couldn't acdept their offer because it sure smelled great from the smoker. Great place to play and watch ball. We had a great time umping there although I had heard there was some trouble there a couple of weeks earlier vs So Florida

SRW Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:59am

Quote:

Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
The prep these folks do for this announcing stint must take place in a ten minute meeting.
You're giving them 10? I think you're being extremely generous...

I have noticed, however, that they're quick to blame the ump on an apparent "bad call" - then they see the replay and "oh, the umpire made the right call".

Actually, I've seen that go both ways - an apparent "good call" go to a "bad call".

Kill the ump.

bluezebra Mon Jun 06, 2005 01:31am

It's obvious that the women who do softball commentating have the same lack of rules knowledge as the men who do baseball. Lisa Fernandez is a female Tim McCarver. But better looking.

Bob