The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 04, 2005, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

By way of introduction, I am new here and appreciate the opportunity to learn. I am a dad of a 12-U DD and as a rule, I have the utmost respect for you officials, who do a difficult job under stressful conditions.

Here's my question:

First batter at my DD's game hits, runs to 1B, defense fields the ball and throws to 1B before the runner hits the base and the PU calls her out.

Then the manager (coaching at first) calls down to the BU, "Her foot was not on the bag!" and the BU says, "I agree. She's safe."

I would think if an ump makes an erroneous call and immediately and spontaneously recognizes it and corrects it himself that would be rare but correct, but if he has already made the call, how kosher is it to change it under the circumstances described?

Thanks.

Matt
Old Sat Jun 04, 2005, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

It is alright to change a call in that situation to get it right,but the communication process of the umpires is suspect.The coach should have questioned the BU if the F3 pulled her foot,not the PU.The BU should then ask his partner if F3 pulled her foot.If PU saw the foot pulled,then the BU will make the change of his/her call.Sounds like they got it right,but the appeal process was wrong.Welcome to the board,parents interested in the rules are always welcome.

Jeff
NCAA Umpire
NFHS Umpire
ASA Umpire
Old Sat Jun 04, 2005, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the reply, Jeff; I should have made it clear in my post that there was only one ump, the PU. Harder for him to see the play clearly from there, but it was the first batter, so he had nowhere to look but at that play.
Old Sat Jun 04, 2005, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

That is a little different situation with just one umpire.Hopefully the PU hustled and got in better position than behind the plate,assuming there wasnt a runner on third.Secondly,I wouldnt have overturned "my own call"if umpiring alone.You set yourself up for a long game because both sides will want a call they thought was incorrect overturned.If I make a mistake on a judgement call,I will stick with that call and strive harder to get in better position next time.

Jeff
NCAA Umpire
NFHS Umpire
ASA Umpire