The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

ASA rule on throwing bat. I quickly looked through the 2005 ASA rule book, but maybe didn't look hard enough. Only thing that I found was POE #52 on page 158. POE #52 only covers (1) intentionally throwing the bat out of anger, (2) bat slips out of hand (no penalty), and (3) bat slips out of hand causing interference. I am sure that there is a general rule somewhere in the book that covers the batter throwing the bat. Where is it?
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stair-Climber
ASA rule on throwing bat. I quickly looked through the 2005 ASA rule book, but maybe didn't look hard enough. Only thing that I found was POE #52 on page 158. POE #52 only covers (1) intentionally throwing the bat out of anger, (2) bat slips out of hand (no penalty), and (3) bat slips out of hand causing interference. I am sure that there is a general rule somewhere in the book that covers the batter throwing the bat. Where is it?
Nope, what you cited is all there is.
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

So, other than what is covered in the POE, can an umpire do anything with a girl or team whose players have a bad habit of throwing (sometimes dangerously) the bat after making contact with ball? Before becoming an ump, I had always heard that a warning can be given and then after warning, batter called out for throwing bat.
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

There is no rule in ASA that allows calling a batter out for throwing a bat, no matter how done or how often. Your choices are: 1) ignore it, 2) warn without penalty, or 3)consider an interference call (but it must actually interfere witha defender making a play, not just wizz back or hit the catcher when the ball goes to the field) or 4) eject as an unsporting act.
Old Sun May 29, 2005, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AtlUmpSteve
There is no rule in ASA that allows calling a batter out for throwing a bat, no matter how done or how often. Your choices are: 1) ignore it, 2) warn without penalty, or 3)consider an interference call (but it must actually interfere witha defender making a play, not just wizz back or hit the catcher when the ball goes to the field) or 4) eject as an unsporting act.
Steve,

You left out my favorite, stop the game. You don't eject the player nor call them out. Just tell the coach that if batter X cannot control his/her bat after the swing she just cannot play and the game will not proceed until she is replaced.

No, there is nothing in the rules directing the umpire to do that. And if the umpire gets hit with a discarded bat, folks are going to offer a little pity. However, if little Suzie Catcher gets nailed, the umpire WILL, beyond a shadow of a doubt get more heat, not only from the fans, coaches and players, but Little Suzie's parents are not going to listen, nor care to hear, that there is nothing in the rule book which provides the umpire with a solution.

To be honest, I prefer that there is no rule regarding this issue. Now, I'm sure a couple of you may ask why, some probably don't care, but I'm going to tell you why.

This is the type of rule some over-officious umpires take to the extreme. Without such a rule, I have already witnessed umpires eject players for tossing a bat to the ODB, sliding one along the ground back toward the dugout and carrying it to 1B on a HR and tossing it to the coach. When I say "toss", I am talking about in a very controlled manner.

Now, if there are umpires who are going to go to that extreme WITHOUT a rule, just think what will happen when you give them ammunition?

Umpiring does involve a little common sense, though if it were common, everyone would have it and we all know better than to believe that.
Old Mon May 30, 2005, 04:21am
Official Forum Member

We have a local rule for 10u and 12u that throwing the bat can be called out, after a warning has been given.

But you see, this is a local rule, and it's up to the discrection of the umpire. It's not "pure" softball (or baseball for that matter), but it's intended to prevent injuries.

BTW, we also have a rule for the 12u that a called strike causes a ball to be removed from the count (if there is one already), and a throw from the plate to second to try to get a steal that goes into the outfield is a dead ball. But that's just us, and it's good for us.
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

We have a 12U pitcher that would throw perfect games constantly if you gave her that rule. No one can hit this girl, and most of her strikes are called. She walks the occasional batter, but if you dropped a ball every time she threw a called strike, she'd rarely walk anyone.

Seems like a semi-plausible 10U rule to get the girls to swing the bat... but at 12U I don't see the necessity.
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Most leagues I do have written it in to their rules
1st time..warning, 2nd OUT, 3rd Out & ejection
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Mc,

Well, our league is on a lower level. More walks and what-not. We want to encourage the kids to swing at good pitches instead of just waiting there hoping to get walked.

It's worked well for us, and we all like it. There's more action, more "ball" playing, and less pressure on the pitchers.