The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Illegal pitch penalty (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/20593-illegal-pitch-penalty.html)

U of M Sam Fri May 27, 2005 10:04pm

NFHS: I read that on a non hit illegal pitch, a ball is awarded to the batter and all runners advance 1 base.

Little League: I read that with the same situation, only a ball is awarded to the batter and no advancement of runners.

Does anyone understand differently? Please provide rule reference. Thank you.

Dakota Sat May 28, 2005 02:51am

You are correct for NFHS. I don't have the rule book with me at the moment, but I can give you the reference later if you wish.

I don't call LL, so I don't know about that one.

Steve M Sat May 28, 2005 04:45am

Sam,
Look in Fed's Rule 6, lots of sections as the infraction & penalty are listed in Section 1, Section 2, ...

U of M Sam Sat May 28, 2005 09:28am

I am clear on the penalties for Fed (NFHS) with an illegal pitch.
Just asking if anyone reads differently with LL rules that, in the situation described, the penalty is only a ball to the batter.
I plan to read more or poss. e-mail LL for clarification

bluezebra Sun May 29, 2005 12:46am

Quote:

Originally posted by U of M Sam
NFHS: I read that on a non hit illegal pitch, a ball is awarded to the batter and all runners advance 1 base.

Little League: I read that with the same situation, only a ball is awarded to the batter and no advancement of runners.

LL does their own thing. Don't confuse them with anything that resembles other softball programs.

Bob

AtlUmpSteve Sun May 29, 2005 09:16am

Quote:

Originally posted by bluezebra
LL does their own thing. Don't confuse them with anything that resembles other softball programs.

Bob

Bob, you came SOOOOOOOOO close to stating my politically incorrect opinion.

U of M Sam Sun May 29, 2005 10:33am

I realize each group of rules varies slightly from each other, therefore I DO NOT confuse them with "anything that resembles other softball programs". I will stick with what I read within LL rules that there are no base awards for any runners and that the batter is awarded a ball based on my original question. Thanks

IRISHMAFIA Sun May 29, 2005 10:59am

This will be a shock to some, but I like that rule.

I do not see how an IP affects a baserunner. To me, the award is punishment and THAT is what keeps the IP enforcement discussion on the top of the list of things coaches, parents and fans like to ***** about.

U of M Sam Sun May 29, 2005 11:31am

As with the base runners advancing 1 base with an illegal pitch as first described, I think this is the NFHS version of "There is no balk in softball". It is a tough penalty.
And the discussion continues.

pitchR_ECU Sat Jun 04, 2005 04:28pm

Quote:

Hay.. most of the time.. they just gave me a warning and if it happened again they would advance 1 base..

VaASAump Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:10am

Quote:

Little League Ruling: 8.05 Penalty for an Illegal Pitch: The pitch shall be called a ball.

Serg