The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   What is the call? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/20564-what-call.html)

tzme415 Thu May 26, 2005 10:28am

Probably a HTBT kind of call, but I'll throw it out for discussion. Situation R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st, 1 out, Adult Mens ASA SP no stealing. Short popup in infield between home and 1st. F3 and F1 go after ball, but no way F1 is getting it with normal effort, F3 it is hard to say but is hindered by R2 from getting there. Ball hits in fair territory and rolls foul. Could be Interference on R2, could be Infield Fly, or could be just a foul ball. Since I couldn't tell if F3 would get there with normal effort, I did not call IF. I'm thinking I should have called Interference on R2, but called just a foul ball. What do you think?

chuck chopper Thu May 26, 2005 10:51am

Sounds like F3 is the only person in your mind who could had made a catch, and thats still questionable. Unless your sure he/she had a chance then just put this one behind you & move on.

IRISHMAFIA Thu May 26, 2005 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tzme415
Probably a HTBT kind of call, but I'll throw it out for discussion. Situation R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st, 1 out, Adult Mens ASA SP no stealing. Short popup in infield between home and 1st. F3 and F1 go after ball, but no way F1 is getting it with normal effort, F3 it is hard to say but is hindered by R2 from getting there. Ball hits in fair territory and rolls foul. Could be Interference on R2, could be Infield Fly, or could be just a foul ball. Since I couldn't tell if F3 would get there with normal effort, I did not call IF. I'm thinking I should have called Interference on R2, but called just a foul ball. What do you think?
I see you understand that a pop-up in the infield does not necessarily an IF. That's good, because some umpires don't understand that.

If you had questioned F3's ability to catch it with ordinary effort, it probably wasn't an IF. That leaves INT and foul ball.

Would F3 had an opportunity to execute a play by getting the ball before it went foul? If you have to think about this, you probably mad the right call.

Good job.

tzme415 Thu May 26, 2005 12:15pm

Thanks. Had I thought that F3 could have caught the ball with ordinary effort if not hindered by R2, then what have been the call? Interference or Infield Fly, and how would the runners be placed? Does the ball going foul change the call?

IRISHMAFIA Thu May 26, 2005 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tzme415
Thanks. Had I thought that F3 could have caught the ball with ordinary effort if not hindered by R2, then what have been the call? Interference or Infield Fly, and how would the runners be placed? Does the ball going foul change the call?
Speaking ASA

Since you cannot have an IF on a foul ball, your only call would be interference. Now, based on 8.7.J-L Exception, you also rule the batter out.

Topshelf1227 Wed Jun 01, 2005 06:13pm

Speaking ASA

Since you cannot have an IF on a foul ball, your only call would be interference. Now, based on 8.7.J-L Exception, you also rule the batter out.

You rule the batter out? Don't you rule the runner (R2)out for interference? Batter hit a foul ball, but the interference came from the runner. Shouldn't R2 be out?

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jun 02, 2005 06:34am

Quote:

Originally posted by Topshelf1227
Speaking ASA

You rule the batter out? Don't you rule the runner (R2)out for interference? Batter hit a foul ball, but the interference came from the runner. Shouldn't R2 be out?

Reread the post. "you ALSO rule the batter out."

ALSO means in addition to, not in lieu of.