The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   3 Man System. How to Re-Load? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/20551-3-man-system-how-re-load.html)

JEL Wed May 25, 2005 02:22pm

Don't get a chance to work 3-man as much as I would like, but work on it as much as possible anyway.

After a "rotation" where the PU ends up at 3B, what is the accepted procedure to re-set positions when play has ceased? Does PU stay facing infield (and ball) until BU's get into position, or vice-versa. Come to think about it, How should it be done in the 2-man?

Also, if PU keeps watch after the play, should s/he remain stationary, or is slowly backing up out of the infield while still watching acceptable?

Just really trying to gear up for August! want to look as sharp as possible!

AtlUmpSteve Wed May 25, 2005 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JEL
Don't get a chance to work 3-man as much as I would like, but work on it as much as possible anyway.

After a "rotation" where the PU ends up at 3B, what is the accepted procedure to re-set positions when play has ceased? Does PU stay facing infield (and ball) until BU's get into position, or vice-versa. Come to think about it, How should it be done in the 2-man?

Also, if PU keeps watch after the play, should s/he remain stationary, or is slowly backing up out of the infield while still watching acceptable?

In 3 man, U1 must rotate home when PU rotates to 3B. At the end of play, and ball in the circle, U1 calls time to reset positions. If PU remains in any holding position, and does not commit to 3B, he retains control. Remain stationary until U1 and U3 are in their appropriate position, acknowledge their positions (make eye contact before turning away), then turn and hustle back behind the plate. These are the moments noticed that allow you to stand out when all else is equal.

That, and pray for that shot to RF with no runners on, with U1 going out. Easiest ticket to Sunday is for PU to hustle up that line and sell a call at 1B in front of the UIC.

[Edited by AtlUmpSteve on May 25th, 2005 at 05:17 PM]

Skahtboi Wed May 25, 2005 02:56pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AtlUmpSteve
Quote:

Easiest ticket to Friday is for PU to hustle up that line and sell a call at 1B in front of the UIC.
Doing my best Montgomery Burns impression: "Excellent!"

SRW Wed May 25, 2005 03:07pm

Excellent Sound Byte

bkbjones Wed May 25, 2005 10:29pm

Pardon me for a minute...

The easiest ticket to Sunday is to bust your *** all week long, hustle, lead, and have the guts to make the tough call.

You may outrun my fat butt in a footrace, although Streamdoc and SRW will assure any doubters that I'm damned sure where I am supposed to be EVERY time. If you're counting on getting your ticket for Sunday punched based on getting your butt to first base on a liner to right, then you may very well get it punched.

But if you want to work a semi or a final, work hard all spring and all summer, bust your butt in the tournament, and pray that UIC doesn't owe too many people too many favors.

SRW Wed May 25, 2005 11:18pm

* ...steps up on bkbjones's soapbox...

And I will guarantee that his "fat butt" (his words, not mine :) ) not only is in position EVERY time, but his judgement is right on.

And he's right about the ticket to Sunday... I'm living proof, as is Streamdoc. Bust your a$$ and show them old farts what you've got, learn the rules, and show that you can be a leader, and you'll get to Sunday's games in a hurry.

John, you're a great ump, even if I can "outrun your fat butt in a footrace"!

:D

* ...steps off the soapbox...

kellerumps Wed May 25, 2005 11:25pm

Speaking NCAA

1st base who has rotated home freezes until PU and 3rd base umps are back in position. Once PU is in position, PU then freezes and watches as 1st base umps gets into position.

No need to call time if done properly and nothing crazy happens. If any umpire is to call time, it should be 1st base ump since everything is in front of them.

buddha69 Thu May 26, 2005 07:03am

Quote:

Originally posted by JEL
You know you will be looking sharp anyways.

Where in August are you going to Jel?

I would like to watch!

JEL Thu May 26, 2005 07:57am

Quote:

Originally posted by buddha69

[/B]

Staying Home

buddha69 Fri May 27, 2005 11:32am

Quote:

Originally posted by JEL
Quote:

Originally posted by buddha69

Staying Home [/B]
What date? Let me see If I can come and watch that weekend.

We are hosting the ASA "A" Industrial that month Aug.26 weekend.

JEL Fri May 27, 2005 03:10pm

16U Nationals, first week of Aug. It's listed in the book as LaGrange MS, but we all know where the real LaGrange is!!!!

ZZ Top was wrong!