The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   troll (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/20445-troll.html)

gtfreek Thu May 19, 2005 06:29pm

what are you guys talking about

SC Ump Thu May 19, 2005 09:57pm

Quote:

Originally posted by gtfreek
what are you guys talking about
An unfortunate problem with many bulletin boards is that there are some folks that come in from time to time to just be obnoxious. If you feed them, by responding to inane comments, they just seem to come back. Hence, it's important to remember to "Don't feed the trolls."

aevans410 Fri May 20, 2005 06:39am

For those who don't know what a "Troll" is

Just for clarification.

Trolling on a message board is posting comments specifically designed to incite flaming.

For example

an anonymous poster comes in and says
"My daughter at there 13-15 game last night and she got hit in the hands. The unpire called a foul ball and made her stay in the box. Is this right?"

I come along , wanting to troll would say this.

"Hands are part of the bat, everyone knows that. What are ya stupid?" Trolls flame too, thats what they do. I would also make fun of the fact that the poster misspelled umpire and used the wrong version of "their, there, and they're" because being a troll automatically makes you an expert in typing and grammar.

Why would I do this? Because I get enjoyment in pi$$ing you off, and getting people like Tom, MC, Mike Rowe, and Darrell worked up and trying to get them to argue it. Of course, all of the above gentleman are way too smart to "feed the troll", Hence all the "Do not feed the troll" comments.

Sorry about the long post about what a troll is, but for some of those people who wants to know but is afraid to ask, there you go.

[Edited by aevans410 on May 20th, 2005 at 07:41 AM]

blueump Fri May 20, 2005 08:28am

Re: For those who don't know what a

Quote:

Originally posted by aevans410

"Hands are part of the bat, everyone knows that. What are ya stupid?"

Ewe meen their knot????

Just kidding!

Antonella Fri May 20, 2005 09:14am

I'd never dare to ask...

So thanks a lot for the explanation.
We have trolls on italian softball forum also.
I just didn't know how to call them...

Now the difficult job is to try to translate 'troll' in an appropriate italian word...

A.

aevans410 Fri May 20, 2005 09:16am

A,

Any italian obscenity that loosely translates into the word A$$hole will work just as well ;)

Antonella Fri May 20, 2005 09:38am

I will follow your suggestion!

A.

Dakota Fri May 20, 2005 10:02am

Re: I'd never dare to ask...

Quote:

Originally posted by Antonella
So thanks a lot for the explanation.
We have trolls on italian softball forum also.
I just didn't know how to call them...

Now the difficult job is to try to translate 'troll' in an appropriate italian word...

A.

Warning - OT reply.

The origin of this use of the word and how it has evolved are interesting (to me, anyway, being a continuous student of the language... which Mike uses to needle me with technically incorrect use of "their" and "they"...)anyway...

"Trolling" is a technique for fishing - typically trailing the baited hook in the water behind a moving boat.

That was the original sense of the word as used to describe such people - they were trolling for a response - baiting the other members of the board; trying to get them to take the bait and get hooked, so to speak, into a flame war.

Eventually, it took on the meaning of the mythical monster that hides under bridges to eat the unwary - a troll. That is the meaning of the word that leads to comments like "don't feed the troll."

So, I'm not sure this specific word use translates easily, since it is essentially an English pun.

OK, sorry for boring most of you... back to softball.

SRW Fri May 20, 2005 10:24am

This is a Troll...

http://p.vtourist.com/1382938-Fremon...ct-Seattle.jpg

IRISHMAFIA Fri May 20, 2005 11:15am

Re: Re: I'd never dare to ask...

Quote:

Originally posted by Dakota
Warning - OT reply.

The origin of this use of the word and how it has evolved are interesting (to me, anyway, being a continuous student of the language... which Mike uses to needle me with technically incorrect use of "their" and "they"...)anyway...

"Trolling" is a technique for fishing - typically trailing the baited hook in the water behind a moving boat.

also known as trawling in some parts of the country
Quote:

That was the original sense of the word as used to describe such people - they were trolling for a response - baiting the other members of the board; trying to get them to take the bait and get hooked, so to speak, into a flame war.

Eventually, it took on the meaning of the mythical monster that hides under bridges to eat the unwary - a troll. That is the meaning of the word that leads to comments like "don't feed the troll."

So, I'm not sure this specific word use translates easily, since it is essentially an English pun.

OK, sorry for boring most of you... back to softball.

coachfanmom Fri May 20, 2005 11:17am

This is what I LOVE about this forum!! You guys can have fun AND still teach me something each and every day. Much love to you all!! Muah!!!!!! (need to have some lips on this icon board) :D