The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 02:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Gozer Send a message via Yahoo to Gozer
Cool

Working a Class "A" Mens ASA City Softball game.

Anyway, after my PU blew a call at third because he had the lead runner, my focus was at first and second.

I call time and go talk with my PU, we saw nothing so we agree that he is safe. Guy comes over to me and yells "You've got to be F-N kidding me." I instantly point the finger to the parking lot. He askes if I have never heard F F F F F. Partner comes over and finishes the ejection. End up having to call the cops to have him removed. Both teams tell me thanks for finally taking care of the hot-head.

Now the fun starts. I get a call from the sports supervisor and he tells me that I just have to take crap like that. So I promplty ask him if I can come into his office and yell "F-U at you" you would take it. He tells me well.... no! And I ask him the difference, there is silence and he says well nevermind. I call his boss after that and tell him what transpired and he tells me that it will be taken care of.

Have you guys and gals ran into "comissioners" that will not back you. Now let me tell you the LL guy in our area is great, backs us ever time.

Just thought you guys and gals might enjoy a laugh.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 05:50am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Gozer
Good goin', Gozer!

Old Fri May 13, 2005, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

In baseball, softball, and football, I've worked for 7 different "Commish" types (whoever's in charge that I would expect to be backed by in a sitch like yours). 6 backed the umpires/officials in public unconditionally. The other did not. I stopped working for him. Over the past 3 years, he's got NO ONE of any quality working for him at all. His supervisor (in charge of all youth sports for that particular city) called me recently to ask me if I'd come back, sparking a conversation that enlightened him as to why no one works there anymore. Apparently things will change soon.

What comes around goes around, eventually.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Sometimes it takes a while for guys to realize that we have to be supported. Most of our assignors in this area also officiate/ump/ref (if they don't then they used to) so they have no problem supporting us as they know what it's like.

Gozer, good going and great question ->.....So I promptly ask him if I can come into his office and yell "F-U at you" you would take it? He tells me well.... no!
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

My UIC will back us. Unconditionally. One time I had a field supervisor at one tournament come over and tell me I was wrong, told the coaches I was wrong and made a big stink about an interference call. Turns out I was right. That night she was supervising ASA A level fastpitch. Next night she was supervising the fields with kingergarten T-ball.

Sara
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Profanity

We are blessed with a great "casual profanity" rule here in the Seattle Metro area.

If you're on offense and you hurl your little "F" bomb or "S" bomb or whatever, next batter is out. Third out of the inning? Tough S.

If you're on defense and you transgress, your first batter is out to start the next half-inning.

And you still have the right to eject.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Re: Profanity

Quote:
Originally posted by bkbjones
We are blessed with a great "casual profanity" rule here in the Seattle Metro area.

If you're on offense and you hurl your little "F" bomb or "S" bomb or whatever, next batter is out. Third out of the inning? Tough S.

If you're on defense and you transgress, your first batter is out to start the next half-inning.

We have a similar rule here, although some consider us to be cursed with the rule, not blessed with it. (Ironic, I know.)
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Profanity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by bkbjones

We have a similar rule here, although some consider us to be cursed with the rule, not blessed with it. (Ironic, I know.)
But how often do you really need to call it. In the last four years I have called someone out for casual profanity probably twice. And personally, I don't miss hearing a batter yelling out the F-Bomb after he pops out to shortstop, and I certainly don't miss having my kids hear it.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Profanity

Quote:
Originally posted by gsf23
But how often do you really need to call it.
Need to? Probably never.

Talking JO fast pitch here, not AA slow pitch. But in the last several years, I've only invoked the rule twice, and that was on the assistant coach both times (different coach) of 12U teams who expressed her (yes, her) displeasure with a play by dropping the S-bomb in the dugout. Both times I just reminded the coach of the existance of the rule. 11-12 yo girls within easy earshot. No further problems.

I have ignored words that could have invoked the rule. For example, two 18U outfielders (I'm on the bases) "congratulating" each other as follows:

"Nice play." (from one fielder to the fielder who misplayed a grounder).

"F--- you." (said fielder saying "thanks.")

I figure two 17-18 year olds in the outfield can say whatever they want to each other.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gozer
...and yells "You've got to be F-N kidding me."

...So I promplty ask him if I can come into his office and yell "F-U at you" you would take it. He tells me well.... no!
Depending on the league, I may or may not eject. "Dirty words" do not bother me, so my personal way of dealing with it is, "I allow players to communicate as they would with their co-workers." In the above, the questioning of the call is the problem for me, as is their level of respect while doing it. If I'm calling a league of construction workers, I'd probably give a warning. A church league or white-collar nerds, they are probably getting ejected. Fair or unfair, it is just me trying to determine if the words are meant by the player to be grumbling or meant to be an agressive, verbal attack. To me, saying what he did versus saying F-U is to different things.

HOWEVER, I am not saying you should. I am saying this is what I do. I love your response to your assignor/commissioner. It is indeed inappropriate for him to suggest that you have to take a certain level of abuse.