The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

Question

You'd think this was an easy one, especially since it's been posted a few times here but..........
Before last nights game, my partner and I were discussing the "batting out of order" rule and the conversation left me unsure of what I thought I understood. Help!
Number 6 was supposed to lead off the inning but was skipped and number 14 batted. Number 14 singles to first. Before a pitch is thrown to the next batter, the defensive coach calls time out and declares that 14 batted out of order. Now I know number 6 is out but what do you do with number 14 at 1st?
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rj
...but what do you do with number 14 at 1st?
All advancements on the play are nullified as the result of the batting out of order penalty. Number 14 would be removed from the base. If there had been other runners that advanced on the play, they would return to the base occupied at the time of the pitch. If there had been other runners that were put out, those outs would stand. (Stolen bases from previous pitches to the improper batter would stand.)

If on this play, the batter runner had been put out, I believe the status of that "out" would be dependent on what organizational rules you are under. In NFHS, the out made by the batter runner would be nullified, and the out charged to the proper batter for batting out of order would stand. I believe there are other organizations that would count the out by the batter runner and also count the out for batting out of order.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

SC Ump, Thanks for the replay.
So, number 6 would be out and number 14 would be removed from 1st and return to the plate to bat again?
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rj
So, number 6 would be out and number 14 would be removed from 1st and return to the plate to bat again?
That would depend upon where in the batting order #14 was located. If after #6, yes, #14 would be the proper batter.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by rj
That would depend upon where in the batting order #14 was located. If after #6, yes, #14 would be the proper batter.
If on the other hand #14 would have been put out instead of getting a base hit (and it was discovered before the next legal or illegal pitch), the player who should have batted (#6) would be out, the out that #14 made would stand. If #14 was the next scheduled batter you would then skip over her and the next person in the order would be the proper batter.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dtwsd
If on the other hand #14 would have been put out instead of getting a base hit (and it was discovered before the next legal or illegal pitch), the player who should have batted (#6) would be out, the out that #14 made would stand. If #14 was the next scheduled batter you would then skip over her and the next person in the order would be the proper batter.
This is one of those situations that is different between organizations.

In NFHS: #14's out would be nullified and #6's out for not batting in their turn would would be recorded. #14 would be the next proper batter.
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Once again, thanks guys!