The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 03:14am
Official Forum Member

I was not at this game, but i'll tell you what I heard. High School : #3 batter comes up (1 of the best hitters in the state) coach comes out and tells up he wants to walk her without pitching to her . Ump explains rules , coach returns to dugout. First pitch hits batter in back. Next time up (same batter)coach tries to walk her again without pitching to her. First pitch hits her in the head. As an ump would you have any warning for the coach or pitcher for throwing at the batter? ....... End of story: Her last at bat , Three balls way outside followed by a mistake right down the middle of the plate. HOMERUN Brian
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 03:47am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I think Im warning no matter what rules say. My first rule is for the safety of the kids and unsportsmanship, from players or coaches. You dont like to think that it was coached or intentional, but we know better in some cases. This being a star batter leads me to think there was some fore-thought.
I also think if both coaches agree, you dont even pitch to her.
It is a sad day when girls rush the mound.
Preventative officiating is preached long and hard here and Im all in.
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

"I also think if both coaches agree, you dont even pitch to her."

rhsc: Are you making up a rule here? Talk about looking for trouble.
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

I see quite a few posts:
"If I see X number of batters get hit, Im ejecting for the safety clause".

Please

Most injuries I see come off a bat.. not the little bruise from a HBP. I probably get HBP 10X than the average batter.

What if the pitcher is their best pitcher?
You gonna forfeit a HS Game?

I think its OOO to make such comments and worse if you actually really do do it.

That safety rule aint for that and when you see it in MLB its not safety - its USC so lets keep it all in perspective.

You got a pitcher USC hitting batters, fine. If not, you have to have a very very very strong case to nanny yourself into ejecting/benching that player on you own accord "for safety".

the fact the pitcher got dinged during an intentional walk shows me she probably is not the best pitcher and this is not USC.

rhsc and his inventing rules is one thing that is of course crossing the line.. I see many others say it all the time.

[Edited by wadeintothem on May 1st, 2005 at 09:26 AM]
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

"I was not at this game, but i'll tell you what I heard. High School : #3 batter comes up (1 of the best hitters in the state) coach comes out and tells up he wants to walk her without pitching to her . Ump explains rules , coach returns to dugout. First pitch hits batter in back. Next time up (same batter)coach tries to walk her again without pitching to her. First pitch hits her in the head. As an ump would you have any warning for the coach or pitcher for throwing at the batter? ....."

This is so obvious, it's not even questionable. 1st HBP..WARNING. 2nd HBP..Pitcher and coach are history.

Bob

Old Sun May 01, 2005, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

whats obvious about it since you werent there?

You eject every pitcher that hits two batters?

Old Mon May 02, 2005, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wadeintothem

Coach wants to walk batter without pitching. Denied. First pitch hits batter. That's obvious, especially to anyone who knows softball and/or baseball.

Next time at bat, batter gets beaned, literally. If THAT isn't obvious, you shouldn't be umpiring.

Those instances are as obvious as if the coach hollered, "Hit her".

Bob

Old Mon May 02, 2005, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

I seem to recall the final world series mens softball between NZ and Canada in Nz
last year the pitcher hit two players .
No warnings no ejections and 6 of the best Umpires in the world
You have to be damn sure it is on purpose to eject .
In saying that the pitcher from NZ could pitch any spot asked for so it could well have been on purpose .
But girls HS ball . Are they that good?
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel
"I also think if both coaches agree, you dont even pitch to her."

rhsc: Are you making up a rule here? Talk about looking for trouble.
Its kinda like this - co-ed teams dont have enough women, teams agree to play anyway, no harm, no fowl, play ball. Im not trying to make a rule, just allowing the teams play. Call it what you will, but in the original sitch, that girl wouldnt have been hit twice.
Yes it can be a physical game, But you loose control when overlook safety and reason.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by debeau
I seem to recall the final world series mens softball between NZ and Canada in Nz
last year the pitcher hit two players .
No warnings no ejections and 6 of the best Umpires in the world
You have to be damn sure it is on purpose to eject .
In saying that the pitcher from NZ could pitch any spot asked for so it could well have been on purpose .
But girls HS ball . Are they that good?
Good enough to hit a batter?

Yes they are. Of course.

Is the coach telling a kid to hit them? I highly doubt it. They are usually teachers at the school and I doubt its done often.

If it were done, It would probably be more of a pitcher doing it on her own.

Eitherway though, every time there is a HBP thread the token "oh I warn then eject" posters jump on board.

Its absurd and OOO IMO. But I think its a show. If people are ejecting as much as some umps pretend to eject on this MB Im suprised any games get completed.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
Quote:
Originally posted by wadeintothem

Coach wants to walk batter without pitching. Denied. First pitch hits batter. That's obvious, especially to anyone who knows softball and/or baseball.

Next time at bat, batter gets beaned, literally. If THAT isn't obvious, you shouldn't be umpiring.

Those instances are as obvious as if the coach hollered, "Hit her".

Bob

Oh boy arent we a little arrogant.

Spare me your napoleon complex.. now you are PRETENDING you can judge whether I should be umpiring because I dont PRETEND to eject pitchers after 2 HBP's in High School Ball.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Lame.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

It seems to me that this is another HTBT kinda calls. From reading the sitch, I would tend to think that these two HBP were intentional. But I don't know if the pitcher had been wild all game or suddenly became 'wild' on these two pitches, or had the pitcher been trying to work the inside all game. The reason it 'seems' intentional is the request to walk the batter without a pitch, and instead of throwing 4 balls outside, the ball goes inside to hit the batter. The only reasons for that would be to hope the batter swings at some really bad pitches or to hit her.
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

One of the times this same batter got hit last year the pitcher apologized after the game. The coach told her to do it! At least the pitcher decided to throw a changeup. Brian
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

If

1) There is known history that this coach teaches pitchers to hit batters, and

2) The coach asks for a "gimme" intentional walk, and

3) When denied, the best hitter for the opposition gets hit by a pitch on the first pitch,

then there are ample grounds for a double ejection. This could be mitigated if the pitcher has had control problems, but if she has been in control all game, she is now gone.

Certainly with the second beaning, it is open and shut. Pitcher gone. Coach gone. Report to state on its way.