The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Plate/Field Mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/20095-plate-field-mechanics.html)

Just Curious Mon May 02, 2005 10:59pm

When getting into the "set" positions during a pitch, is the timing different when there are runners on base as opposed to when the bases are empty?

whiskers_ump Mon May 02, 2005 11:06pm

Personally, I set when PU sets.

Just Curious Tue May 03, 2005 09:58am

Quote:

Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Personally, I set when PU sets.
Thanks Glen..
Do PU's set at a different time depending on whether there are runners on board or not?

mcrowder Tue May 03, 2005 10:05am

I don't. Don't know anyone who does either ... but that doesn't mean that someone out there doesn't do it.

Why do you ask ... this seems like half of the real question.

Just Curious Tue May 03, 2005 10:20am

Quote:

Originally posted by mcrowder
I don't. Don't know anyone who does either ... but that doesn't mean that someone out there doesn't do it.

Last night at our NFHS Study Club, I was reading one of the evaluations given to another member... One of the evaluators comments was that evaluatee should set later if there were runners on board..
While it made some sense in that you could get a longer look at the runner's activity (Leaving Early), I didn't have a chance to ask the evaluator what he meant by that as he left before I could get to him.
He is a respected member of our pool and I was just interested... And of course since there is a chance that I may get evaluated by this individual some day, I would like to get it right or at least understand what it is that he's getting at!

wadeintothem Tue May 03, 2005 11:00am

I set mostly (85%) when P is about to set and all the way when the hands are brought together. I do this pretty early so as to not disturb the P.

Steve M Tue May 03, 2005 11:09am

While working the plate, I let the pitcher's motion dictate when I drop into a set position. I do not want to be down too long, but I want to be down long enough to see the entire delivery.

On the bases, I get into a set position when the pitcher is ready to take the signal. With no runners on, I am upright, one the line - either in 'A' or 'D' positions.

JEL Wed May 04, 2005 07:51am

Quote:

Originally posted by Just Curious
Quote:

Originally posted by mcrowder

Last night at our NFHS Study Club, I was reading one of the evaluations given to another member... One of the evaluators comments was that evaluatee should set later if there were runners on board..
While it made some sense in that you could get a longer look at the runner's activity (Leaving Early), I didn't have a chance to ask the evaluator what he meant by that as he left before I could get to him.
He is a respected member of our pool and I was just interested... And of course since there is a chance that I may get evaluated by this individual some day, I would like to get it right or at least understand what it is that he's getting at!

Does this evaluator also work baseball?

I can't see where runners on base would have anything to do with timing your set position in softball (at the plate of course). Unless you are working alone the runners on base shouldn't be the concern. Perhaps you could ask this evaluator to expound on that some. I would like to know. May have merit, maybe not.