The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Umpire Interference (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/20094-umpire-interference.html)

Just Curious Mon May 02, 2005 10:57pm

What constitutes umpire interference?
Is there a difference when an umpire interferes with a batter, BR, or Runner.
What about interfereing with the ball? In fair territory.. In foul territory?
If a hit ball hits a BU, lets say behind F4, and is stopped dead.. Is it treated the same if it had hit the base at 2B and stopped dead???
Maybe an easier way, is there a section in the rule book on UI??? I couldn't find a reference to it...

whiskers_ump Mon May 02, 2005 11:23pm

<i>What constitutes umpire interference?
Is there a difference when an umpire interferes with a batter, BR, or Runner.
What about interfereing with the ball? In fair territory.. In foul territory?
If a hit ball hits a BU, lets say behind F4, and is stopped dead.. Is it treated the same if it had hit the base at 2B and stopped dead???
Maybe an easier way, is there a section in the rule book on UI??? I couldn't find a reference to it...</i>

Could not find my ASA but probably same.'
NCAA Section 16.

a. When a fair, untouched batted ball strikes the person, attached equipment of an
umpire before passing a field (other than the pitcher), or after passing an infielder
(including the pitcher) but another fielder had a reasonable chance to make
a play.
b. When a fair, untouched batted ball strikes the person, attached equipment, or
clothing of an umpire before touching a fielder (including the pitcher).
EFFECT: The ball is dead. BR is awarded first base and credited with a base
hit. If forced, each base runner advances one base with no liability to be put
out. If not forced, each base runner must return to the base legally occupied
at the time of the pitch. EXCEPT: It is not interference, the ball remains in play,
If the ball; (1) hits the umpire after passing a fielder, other than the pitcher
and no other infielder has a reasonable chance to make a play; or (2) hits the umpire
after touching a fielder (including the pitcher).

Note: When said ball touches the umpire while still in flight it shall be considered
a ground ball. It cannot be caught as a fly ball.

c. When the plate umpire or his/her clothing interferes with the catcher's
attempt to throw out a runner on a pickoff or steal attempt.
EFFECT: Delayed dead ball is signaled, If the runner is not out, they must
return to the base legally occupied at the time of the pitch. If ruled out,
ball remains live and there is no interference.

It is not interference if a pitched or thrown ball strikes an umpire. The ball is
live.

streamdoc Tue May 03, 2005 02:47pm

What if?

What if the umpire runs into the catcher while she attempting to field a throw with a runner coming into score? You can't assume an out, but in my scenario, the plate umpire definately prevented the catcher from catching the ball - leading to the ball getting by the catcher, and the runner being safe. Would the runner(s) be placed back on the bag that they started from? If so, would this be the bag they occupied at the time of the pitch, or the last legally touched base?

Skahtboi Tue May 03, 2005 03:25pm

Re: What if?

Quote:

Originally posted by streamdoc
What if the umpire runs into the catcher while she attempting to field a throw with a runner coming into score? You can't assume an out, but in my scenario, the plate umpire definately prevented the catcher from catching the ball - leading to the ball getting by the catcher, and the runner being safe. Would the runner(s) be placed back on the bag that they started from? If so, would this be the bag they occupied at the time of the pitch, or the last legally touched base?
This was a casebook play last year in either ASA or NFHS, I am not sure which. But to answer your question, what you would have would be a bunch of ugliness, but the play would stand as it occurred. The umpire is just part of the playing field in this instance.

streamdoc Tue May 03, 2005 03:55pm

Good, that's what we did. I should have said that the catcher ran into me, rather than the other way around. I think she has something against umpires because she literally hit me with her mask 7 times during the 6-inning game. No matter where I went to get out of the way, that mask was finding me. Thanks.