The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

I have been annoyed lately by slowpitch players who call time before all play action has really ended. This effectively stops the runners, but time isn't really out until the umpire calls it, right?

I was unable to find a softball rule about this. Can I warn the players, or are they allowed to do this?
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Of course its you who calls time. THe players make a request. It doesnt have to be granted at all and during a LB it is typically ignored unless there is cause. You have to be in control of your game.

You can warn them, you can get punitive with verbal obstruction, you can do a number of things.

Equally, just because they call time doesnt mean the offense has to stop playing.
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 09:52am
softball_junky

When I am doing youth slow pitch I see this all of the time. Ball comes to infield and the fielder either holds up the ball or the coach starts shouting to the player to call time. I feel there is any chance a runner might advance take an extra long time to call time when this happends.
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

In ALL the slo-pitch I worked, as soon as the ball was returned to the infield, and there was no action on the bases, "TIME" was called.

Bob
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

I didnt realize SP players had been placed in charge of their own time outs but I never work it - my bad.
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 01:51pm
softball_junky

You do not call time when runners are advancing to the next base or returning to a base if the defense has a chance to make a play.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

I think most SP players do it out of habit. I know when I played I always did, not because I thought I was calling the Time, but to request it from the ump. This also will usually stop those runners who like to play 'Chicken' by continuing to take one more step trying to get you to make a play on them without actually running to the next base. They are hoping for a misplay or to help a leading runner to advance if you pay too much attention to them.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

BTW - just to add to what was said before - TIME is not official until the Umpire calls it. Players can request time out all they want, but only the umpire grants it. The same thing happens when a batter requests 'Time' while in the batter's box. If the umpire doesn't grant it, the pitch stands.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

R1 on first. Ball hit to right field. R1 slides safely into third ahead of the tag. F5 holds the tag on the R1 while she is on the base. Third base coach and R1 are both yelling for time. Base umpire grants time. B2 had not yet touched second, but was well on the way, and would have walking in standing up. "Coach, time was granted per your request, batter had not yet reached second, she is placed back on first." Last time in that game any one on that team, while on the offence, asked for time.

Time is a condition of grace as granted by the umpire.