The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

ASA or NHFS

Is there anything to prevent a runner from running down a fielder in her path that is not involved in the play?

R1 on 1B, F4 setup in baseline. Wild pitch goes to backstop; R1 breaks for 2B; F4 is standing there watching the play. R1 collides with F4, both go down; R1 gets up and makes it to 2B.

Obstruction is obvious, but is there any rule to call interference and call the runner out? Cite rule number and/or case number.

Collision is violent, but not judged to be malicious or flagrant. At least not with respect to thrown elbows, shoulder lowered, etc.

Why did she run her down? I don't know. Maybe it was deliberate. Maybe she didn't "see the defender. If there is no interference rule, would you stretch the "malicious" or "flagrant" definition to include this action?

WMB

Yes, it is spelled collision, but I don't know how to edit the title.

[Edited by WestMichBlue on Apr 28th, 2005 at 11:34 AM]
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

HTBT to give any kind of meaningful answer. I think I'd recognize intent most of the time. If intent, then I'm not stretching when I judge malicious contact - out & ejected. Otherwise, I just have obstruction - and may actually put the runner on 3B.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
Yes, it is spelled collision, but I don't know how to edit the title.
One of the "features" of this board - the top thread title cannot be edited.

Speaking ASA, Case Play 10.8-1 will allow for an OUT and ejection for flagrant misconduct. The support for the OUT call is shaky in actual rules. This has been discussed before. But the out can certainly be called using the case play as authority.

The rules pertaining to a runner intentionally (i.e., did not avoid when she could have) crashing into a fielder all include the requirement that the fielder be involved in making a play - fielding a batted ball, throwing a ball, catching a throw, etc.

No flagrant or malicious misconduct? No play by the defender?

Is "refusing" to deviate even when there apparently was ample opportunity to do so included in "flagrant or malicous" even when the crash itself was not particularly malicious-looking?

Good question.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

If the runner had ample opportunity to avoid the fielder and didn't then it would be up to you to determine if she deliberately caused the contact. This would be hard to determine unless you saw the runner's eyes and movements. Was the runner looking toward the fielder or looking back at the ball? Did the runner make any movement to avoid the fielder, even at the last instance? If and only if I could determine that the runner intentionally ran into the fielder, this would constitute USC to me - an out and an ejection. The only reasons to run the fielder over intentionally would be to try and 'draw' the OBS call or to try and hurt the fielder.