The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Game Sitchs ---FED (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/19955-game-sitchs-fed.html)

Chess Ref Tue Apr 26, 2005 07:05am

This first one happened yesterday at a game. I am BU. Batter squares around to bunt, pitch is high and tight. Ball is call, coach wants PU to check with me. I give the safe signal and loudly state "No Swing". Is this the correct mechanic ?

Am I the only one the catches alot of grief for what occurs somewhat regularly in ASA/FED ?

Defensive Players make a good play, bang/bang but runner still safe and then the howling begins.....

My catch-all example is 10U ASA tourney. Catcher makes a really nice throw to second (it made it on less then 2 bounces) F4 is there straddling the bag ( no OBS) makes the catch, applies the tag...about 2 seconds late. i call SAFE and the yelling begins....

Last night F6 makes a great stop -deep in the hole- comes up firing -great throw- just a little late. And you would have thought that I was a spokesperson for the local blind school. My partners have consistently said I am getting these call right. So what gives with the yelling ?

JEL Tue Apr 26, 2005 08:08am

Quote:

Originally posted by Chess Ref
This first one happened yesterday at a game. I am BU. Batter squares around to bunt, pitch is high and tight. Ball is call, coach wants PU to check with me. I give the safe signal and loudly state "No Swing". Is this the correct mechanic ?

Am I the only one the catches alot of grief for what occurs somewhat regularly in ASA/FED ?

Defensive Players make a good play, bang/bang but runner still safe and then the howling begins.....

My catch-all example is 10U ASA tourney. Catcher makes a really nice throw to second (it made it on less then 2 bounces) F4 is there straddling the bag ( no OBS) makes the catch, applies the tag...about 2 seconds late. i call SAFE and the yelling begins....

Last night F6 makes a great stop -deep in the hole- comes up firing -great throw- just a little late. And you would have thought that I was a spokesperson for the local blind school. My partners have consistently said I am getting these call right. So what gives with the yelling ?

You just gotta get a tougher skin!

If you had made those calls differently, you would have the other side yelling at you!

This is part of the game and to be expected somewhat. Be sure your mechanics are sharp, your uni is sharp, you are positioned correctly, and maybe most of all, use a good "sell call" (safe or out). You will still hear some yelling from the stands, but you just have to learn to ignore it. Unfortunately, some of the nicest, most well behaved people you can meet transform when they are watching a game.

Now, if this was the bench, or coaching staff that was doing the yelling, you can control that.

whiskers_ump Tue Apr 26, 2005 08:24am

<i>Last night F6 makes a great stop -deep in the hole- comes up firing -great throw- just a little late. And you would have thought that I was a spokesperson for the local blind school. My partners have consistently said I am getting these call right. So what gives with the yelling?</i>

Goes with the territory. Make a call like that with a good sell,
look right at the first base coach, and move to your next position.

WestMichBlue Tue Apr 26, 2005 09:00am

Chess Ref, we know that you are new and I suspect that you are taking this personally. Doesn't matter if it is you or Joe Schmoe making the call, someone is going to yell.

Others will tell you not to listen to the fans. Well, that's baloney. Unless you are deaf, you will hear them. It is how you deal with what you hear that determines if you last as an umpire.

You may try a technique I learned a long time ago - I talk back to those fans!

In my head! I will say, "You dumb SOB! I am only 10' from this play and you can make a better call from 150' away in the right field bleachers. What an idiot!"

In mentally telling them off, you are affirming to yourself that you are right, and they don't know what the H they are saying. You clear your mind and are ready to make the next call. I have done this so long that I don’t go through the entire scenario any more. I hear the boo birds and I immediately mentally say “Dumb F” and I move on to my next position.

WMB

Just Curious Tue Apr 26, 2005 09:32am

Quote:

Originally posted by WestMichBlue

You may try a technique I learned a long time ago - I talk back to those fans!

In my head! I will say, "You dumb SOB! I am only 10' from this play and you can make a better call from 150' away in the right field bleachers. What an idiot!"

In mentally telling them off, you are affirming to yourself that you are right, and they don't know what the H they are saying. You clear your mind and are ready to make the next call. I have done this so long that I don’t go through the entire scenario any more. I hear the boo birds and I immediately mentally say “Dumb F” and I move on to my next position.

WMB

Of course most of these galleries can read minds too!!! They will now know that not only are you really blind and can't make the calls at 10' that they can at 150' but you use bad language too! And then when you clear "YOUR" mind they also can see the blank slate. Usually confirmed by the non-mind readers by your blank stare! :p
Display confidence, look sharp, move to the next position, and after you get back in the game... Enjoy it!

wadeintothem Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:00am

If they are getting to you.. make a conscious effort to think about whats on next and forget that issue. You cant dwell on it.

whats the sit, outs, on base, whos up.

Think about whatever happened after the game, post it here or whatever.. but during the game refocus. Take a breath because the next play is coming and anything can happen.

I think refocusing is better advice because you do hear it.. so you have to put it out of your mind. They are not the issue. Their opinion does not matter in any way. It really doesnt.

tzme415 Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:03am

As has already been stated - DON'T TAKE IT PERSONAL - On every close play, half the people are going to think you are wrong(maybe more).

Dakota Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:08am

Quote:

My catch-all example is 10U ASA tourney.
Absolutely the worst case. It gets better as the parents grow up. ;)

Skahtboi Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:57am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:

...and acutally learn the rules. (Some of them anyway.)

bluezebra Tue Apr 26, 2005 02:18pm

"So what gives with the yelling ?"

Players, coaches, managers, parents, fans, see the play in their hearts. The officials see the play with their eyes.

Bob

bluezebra Tue Apr 26, 2005 06:50pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Skahtboi
Quote:

Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:

...and acutally learn the rules. (Some of them anyway.)

Learn the rules? Where, in Fantasy Land?

Bob

Chess Ref Mon May 02, 2005 08:55am

I guess I should have stated i was venting about all the yelling. My skin is plenty tough. But to pretend I don't hear the yelling is just not true. Does it change any calls I make NO, but I still hear the yelling. it just perplexes me that people get the my little angel glasses on and seem to have no ability to see things as they are-and not how they want them to be.