The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

runner on 1st and 2nd, you are in B position. Ground ball between 1st and 2nd. runner on 1st bumps 1st baseman. How do you determine if it's obs. or int. The problem is that you are not sure who is going to field the ball--- 1st or 2nd. Gotta call something since there was contact.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

its deadball INT if it interferese with 1B making a play on the batted ball. But maybe 1B was just standing there and wasnt moving on the play, you could then have a delayed dead ball until you see what happens, maybe the runner makes it to 2nd, and since 1B wasnt playing on the ball you then have nothing.

But if they dont make it to 2nd and you think the bump by the unmoving 1B had something to do with it, you could have OBS.

For the record, im in C in that sit for 2 man.

[Edited by wadeintothem on Apr 27th, 2005 at 02:31 PM]
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

waseintothem, thanks for your input. I meant that I was in C instead of B, my bad.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

You need to make an immediate determination when you see the contact. Interference is an immediate dead ball. There is no "wait and see what happens" with interference.

When the contact happens between R2 (runner on first) and F3, you need to judge right there if F3 has the best play on the ball. If so, you have an interference call, dead ball, R2 is out, R1 returns to second, and BR awarded first.

If you judge that F4 has the better play on the ball, you now have an obstruction on F3. Now you can "wait and see". Your left arm goes out with the delayed dead ball signal and you let the play finish.

The interference rule only allows us to protect one fielder in the act of fielding the ball. In cases like this, where two or more fielders could possibly have a play, you need to decide which fielder has the protection from being interfered with. Any other fielders are guilty of obstruction if they impede the runner(s) and do not have possession of the ball.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wadeintothem

For the record, im in C in that sit for 2 man.

[Edited by wadeintothem on Apr 27th, 2005 at 02:31 PM]
Wouldn't that depend on the game being played?
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 06:35pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

In NFHS, is the Umpire supposed to call "Obstruction" plus the delayed dead ball signal too? I thought I remembered seeing this in a case play a couple of years ago, but I could be wrong.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Stat-Man,

Some cases in the Case Book say call and signal others, just call.
In the Umpires manual, no mention of calling, merely signaling.
Same thing in the Rule Book, signal, but no mention of calling. I
personally don't think it is verbalized because "what happends when
an umpire veralizes? Usually all play stops.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Was either of the fielders moving .
Surely they have to be moving forward towards the ball to be making a play and therefore if no movement we have OBS
Now what about a very hard hit to so the fielders wait for the ball .
F1 obviously sitting on the diamond line to 2nd would be unkikely to get this ball so again OBS .
When I state OBS I mean indicating with the arm and saying obstruction so the immediate players know .
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
You need to make an immediate determination when you see the contact. Interference is an immediate dead ball. There is no "wait and see what happens" with interference.
I definitely agree with you on this. Adding a little to it, I used to rush my interference calls. Remember that it is an immediate dead ball and should be called "immediately". However, just like the bang-bang play at first, or a tag play at home, I find it is a good mechanic to give a hesitation before the call to make sure what you think you saw is what you really saw. If I kill the play immediately and then in that instance when I am yelling "DEAD BALL" realize that it was actually obstruction that I just saw, I cannot un-kill the play. Obstruction or interference, I initially just point at the play, saying nothing. When I am sure, I then extend the left arm with "That's obstruction", or hands over head with "Time; that's interference."
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

SC Ump - I like that suggestion. Just the second it takes you to point gives a moment to decide for sure, OBS or INT, then make the correct call. No reason to rush, if OBS play continues anyway or if INT you are going to stop play and put the runners where they belong. What is one more second?