The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

R1 on 3rd, R2 on 1st, 2 Outs top of 7, Home team up 8-7, B1 hits Home Run to right field so I easily can watch runner at 1st, B1 now so excited running bases, misses 1st base. Before next pitch defense appeals miss of first base, I call B1 out, no runs count - Home team wins. Was this correct call? Visitors didn't argue. Should call have been different if B1 had missed 2nd or 3rd base?
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, and Yes.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

A. Batter-runner is third out (on appeal) before reaching 1B, run does not count.

B. B-R is third out after achieving 1B, timing play. Run counts.

WMB
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Good, tough call.. but Visitors didnt argue that?

Man I wanna work where you do.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Have to admit they grumbled a bit, but not at me. They knew the runner had missed 1st, just rare that it would be noticed by the other team. Had the HR been to left I might not have seen it, working alone and watching the ball. Pitcher on home team is an umpire also, so instead of watching the ball he actually watched the runner. This isn't the first time he has appealed missed bases and usually gets the call. Most of the teams are real good about not complaining at least not directly to an umpire.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Similar happening in a game last Friday - college game - 2 runners on, 1 out, batter hits one that goes off the fielder's glove & over the venter field fence. Both runners watching ball & not moving too far. Batter also watching ball & passes a runner between 1B & 2B (by 30 feet or so, so it wasn't even close). 2 runs, now 2 outs. Had to explain that to both coaches. I'll bet that batter is still running laps or something along those lines.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Seeing as missing 2nd base after a home run is a timing play, when can defense appeal? If they see it before a runner touched home and appeal immediately, does the run count? Do they have to wait until the B-R has finished running the bases?
Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tzme415
Seeing as missing 2nd base after a home run is a timing play, when can defense appeal? If they see it before a runner touched home and appeal immediately, does the run count? Do they have to wait until the B-R has finished running the bases?
They cannot make a live ball appeal. The dead ball appeal will not be heard until the baserunners complete their baserunning.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by tzme415
They cannot make a live ball appeal. The dead ball appeal will not be heard until the baserunners complete their baserunning.
So all runs would count and only the B-R would be out. Correct?