The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Roamer .. Rover.. ? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/19898-roamer-rover.html)

Alameda Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:06pm

Excuse the noob Q.

I have torn the ASA rule book apart and I cannot find the info I need.

I do alot of Co-Ed Rec, as many of you know by now, and they are not allowed to have a 'roamer' or whatever it's called in the outfield.

Can someone please explain this for me??

TYVMIA.

bluezebra Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:43pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alameda
[B]Excuse the noob Q.

I have torn the ASA rule book apart and I cannot find the info I need.

I do alot of Co-Ed Rec, as many of you know by now, and they are not allowed to have a 'roamer' or whatever it's called in the outfield.

Can someone please explain this for me??

All the slo-pitch I've worked have 10 fielders. If there is no "roamer/rover" (in Chicago, we called them short-center fielders), what do you do with the 10th defensive player?

Bob

Alameda Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:04pm

There are 4 outfielders. I do know it has something to do with having them all in an even line, but I'm not sure of the details.

And I need to be sure. :)

wadeintothem Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:56pm

In the Rec FP league I work they play 10. They have an additional outfielder.. I think its more so they dont have to bench their kids than anything else.

I cant answer your Q and left my rule book in the car.. prolly Mike knows whats ever specifics you are asking, hes the SP king and I dont work it at all... but I dont see the big riddle here.

They have 10 on the field instead of 9.

Local leagues can do pretty much whatever they want though as far as tweeking rules here/there.

rhsc Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:01am

I think this might be refering to what I know as the short-fielder. Generally, they play like deep short-stop, but can move, like, say for a lefty, to deep second-base position. Its my understanding that they have to stay on the grass, though.(could be wrong there) Dont know if this helps, but thats all I can think of that might pertain.

Alameda Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:37am

Thanks rh, that does help.

It helps explain what it is they aren't suppose to have in this rec league.

So the remaining question would be...if they aren't allowed to use a 'short center' field 'roamer', how are they suppose to be lined up?

Thanks for the input so far folks.

Maybe Mike will come along shortly to explain further.

(Personally I think it's silly they can't postition themselves where they want, but that's why I need to understand this rule so I can enforce it with more authority.)

[Edited by Alameda on Apr 23rd, 2005 at 03:36 AM]

Steve M Sat Apr 23, 2005 07:23am

10-man modified also uses 10 defensive positions. Some teams will go with 4 outfielders, others will go with a 5th infielder. There are no requirements as to who plays where, other than that all but the catcher are in fair territory & don't obstruct the batter's view of the pitch. I seem to recall that some of the co-ed leagues in Philly had a painted or chalked line in the outfield that all outfielders had to stay on or behind.

IRISHMAFIA Sat Apr 23, 2005 08:41am

Speaking ASA

Sounds like a local rule.

The outfielders can position themselves anywhere in fair territory except in the infield. Doing that would violate the male/female defensive ratio required by 4.1.C.6

They definition of outfielder (Rule 1) is someone who "defends the area of the field that the left, left-center, right-center, and right fielders normally play."
Please note it said normally. It doesn't mean that they cannot stagger a player to cover a short hit (roamer, rover, shortfielder, etc.)

However, what is not allowed is that an outfielder cannot play so shallow they can cover the area normally covered by an infielder. In turn, you cannot have an infielder playing so deep it gives the impression that they are part of the outfield.

This does not mean that the entire outfield cannot play up short on a weak hitter as long as the defense can be visually recognized as four outfielder and four infielders by the umpire.

PLEASE NOTE: LOCAL RULES MAY VARY.

Hope that helps.

bluezebra Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:20pm

The co-ed leagues I've worked had a line (usually 150' from the plate, or in some cases, the OF grass). With a female at bat, ALL outfielders had to be on the OF side, until the batter hit the ball. For men, there was no restriction.

Bob

Steve M Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:55pm

Bob,
That line must be a common league rule. I'm thinking that's what I saw in those co-ed games I saw in Philly - but that was 20 years ago.

Alameda Sat Apr 23, 2005 02:09pm

Right on gents, thanks. It must be a local rule and I'm now on my way to competely pick apart the leagues website.

Thanks again for all the input.

Alameda Sat Apr 23, 2005 04:11pm

Ok, I finally talked to my bud who's a vet in our association.

In our City's Co-Ed leauges, they cannot use the "Rover". They have to play spaced out and relatively in line with noone playing short. It's just for Co-Ed.

If anyone was curious of the results.

And thanks again for the inputs.

Al.

bluezebra Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:37am

"They have to play spaced out..."

A drug abuse problem in co-ed softball?

Bob

rhsc Sun Apr 24, 2005 05:35am

Quote:

Originally posted by bluezebra
"They have to play spaced out..."

A drug abuse problem in co-ed softball?

Bob

and staggered and had to 'talk' to bud and wandering/roaming around...enough already
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_7_4.gif