The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   THIS HAPPENED TO ME!!!! (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/19891-happened-me.html)

Just Curious Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:16am

Anyone remember that column from Outdoor Life???? Off the subject, sorry...
A few years back, when I was a competitive cyclist, I went to a sports psychologist to get help with the mental aspects of my training and racing.
To make a long story short, he gave me a focusing exercise to do. The premise was that our minds can not think of two things at the same time (Unless you're my wife).. :p
While resting on the couch in the Dr.'s office, I had to close my eyes and visualize the number "100" for as long as I could. In a realtively short period of time I lost the number when I started wondering what the Dr. was up to and I opened my eyes ... This latter thought caused the number 100 to go to the old thought bone yard.
The idea was to show me that in a race, when my attention was on how much my quad's were hurting (a negative thing), to use this as a que to check my breathing, ensure proper bending of my arms, and that I was pushing/pulling through the entire revolution of the pedal stroke.....
I was actually able to apply this concept to many aspects of my life and while teaching became the first, basketball wasn't far behind. For example, as a player you go up for a shot and the world knows that you got hacked but no call... As an official, you didn't care for the remark that one of the coaches made about your last call.. How long do these thoughts hang around in memory bank?? This is wasted time and what was happening on the court during these exercises in futility??
I personally do believe that a mind can not think of two things at the same time and I use this belief to "Stay in the Game"... "Be Here Now"...
Just an editorial on what has help me to stay "FOCUSed" (Awake in some cases :)) and be a better official. Feedback is always welcome!

SC Ump Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:04pm

I'm not sure of your point, but I appreciate the koan.

I hope you can walk and chew gum. If you are listening to the radio in the car and you have to slam on breaks because someone cut you off, weren’t you thinking about the traffic at some level of consciousness, while still listening to the radio? Perhaps you’re not in tuned to the multiple levels of your mind.

Your example of putting your focus on the physics of how you were performing only allowed a different part of the brain to deal with the pain in your legs. Perhaps that was more beneficial for you, perhaps not. It all depends on how you are prepared with previous training. I personally have been trained quite successfully to efficiently moisturize my eyes completely subconsciously, with my blinking.

Just Curious Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by SC Ump
I'm not sure of your point, but I appreciate the koan.

I hope you can walk and chew gum. If you are listening to the radio in the car and you have to slam on breaks because someone cut you off, weren’t you thinking about the traffic at some level of consciousness, while still listening to the radio? Perhaps you’re not in tuned to the multiple levels of your mind.

Your example of putting your focus on the physics of how you were performing only allowed a different part of the brain to deal with the pain in your legs. Perhaps that was more beneficial for you, perhaps not. It all depends on how you are prepared with previous training. I personally have been trained quite successfully to efficiently moisturize my eyes completely subconsciously, with my blinking.

Walking and chewing gum at the same time??? Some people can do that??? Incredible.... :)
I suppose that you can talk all day on other features of the body's autonomic system too....
But the point of my thread was to offer a simple and basic alternative to staying focused on the task at hand and helping to deal with those emotional moments that can sometimes distract us while we are doing our job... Nothing more nothing less.. :p
Try it... It works... I'll be willing to bet that the next time you get into a colorful discussion with a coach you will forget all about it, if only for a second, while you figure out the count on the batter that's waiting for the next pitch...
BTW what's a koan???

rhsc Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:20am

I would just rather not know my partners phsychological dealings with. As long as he dont have a wistle, Im good.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_23.gif
some distraction can be good
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/1/1_4_83.gif

[Edited by rhsc on Apr 23rd, 2005 at 02:04 AM]

SC Ump Sat Apr 23, 2005 05:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Just Curious
...a simple and basic alternative to staying focused on the task at hand and helping to deal with those emotional moments that can sometimes distract us while we are doing our job...

... BTW what's a koan???

In South Carolina, thars two kinds fer ice cream, sugar koans and waffle koans. :)

Actually, it's a philosophical riddle that budhist will use to assist in their meditation and clearing their mind, like "what is the sound of one hand clapping?"

Me personally, when I get into a 'discussion' with a coach, or if I miss a couple of close ones, I will concentrate on my mechanics just as you suggested in your original post. However, I usually focus on something (excuse the paradox) critical, but less meaningful. Am I the right distance from the call? Am I in a good set position? I find that if I concentrate on these things, my training will kick in. If I'm concentrating on what a jerk I think the coach is, I will definitely miss something.

By the way rhsc, I will also miss the call if I am concentrating on the good looking mom in the stands. (Okay, at my age, it's getting to be the good looking grandmas.)

rhsc Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:33pm

Quote:

By the way rhsc, I will also miss the call if I am concentrating on the good looking mom in the stands. (Okay, at my age, it's getting to be the good looking grandmas.)
[/B]
This is a wonderful game aint it.
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/aiw/victory.gif