The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   time out (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/19874-time-out.html)

mccann Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:34am

Worked a fast pitch H.S. softball game where the plate umpire called time out after an out was made and the ball was in the circle. Does anyother blue do this.

varefump Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:08pm

Only slow-pitch ones.

mick Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mccann
Worked a fast pitch H.S. softball game where the plate umpire called time out after an out was made and the ball was in the circle. Does anyother blue do this.
Did this fellow say, "Play!", before each new batter? :)
I doubt that he did.
Probably a new guy.
Keep it live.
mick

mcrowder Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:13pm

Not clear --- he did this EVERY time, or he did this once in a while? Might he have been calling it just to clean the plate?

If every time, I agree with the previous posters.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:28pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mccann
Now there's a blue who has a view of the future as I would like to see it!!!

Rattlehead Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:40pm

Calling Time.

I will do this in one ump when I am so far away from the plate, in order to keep from backing over a player or getting hit by the on deck batter. I would call time and jog back to the plate.

In a two ump system I wait till my partner gets into position so he can keep and eye on the field and then I turn my back and go behind the plate.

Otherwise I only call time when cleaning bases or when a coach or player requests.

mcrowder Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:46pm

You clean bases?

Alameda Thu Apr 21, 2005 01:21pm

Yea, I wanted to wait to post here and let the vets go 1st. I wasn't sure about FP. I do slow pitch rec league, and yes, PU calls time as soon as the ball is returned to the infield and it is very clear the play is dead.

Just don't jump the gun!!! I already had that blunder my 1st week! *blushes*

Rattlehead Thu Apr 21, 2005 01:52pm

Yes, I have been asked to do several 1 person games.

When you have a play at a base and the runner slides into the base and you get a bunch of dirt spread over the base if the player get up and doesn't dust the base I have assumed that you get off you butt hustle out to the base and dust it off so you can see it. I was told it was preventative umpiring.

The Last this I need is someone asking "Are you sure that was and out... You can't even see the base?"

mcrowder Thu Apr 21, 2005 02:17pm

I wouldn't waste my (or their) time brushing bases. You (or those in your assoc) are the only one doing this. You can easily see those 3" high white blobs, even with dirt near them. Trust me.

Ed Maeder Thu Apr 21, 2005 03:15pm

I beg to differ. That is part of our job as umpires and shows a level of professionalism. I know in small ball that is a long way for you guys to bend over. If you ever have a real UIC you will wear a brush out. Anyway in Alaska if you don't clean the bases off you can't see them because of the snow.

[Edited by Ed Maeder on Apr 21st, 2005 at 04:40 PM]

Chess Ref Thu Apr 21, 2005 04:07pm

Cleaning Bases

I will and have cleaned the bases. The big tourney complex here is like a catbox around the bases and yes, a base has disappeared on me .LOL

Little Jimmy Thu Apr 21, 2005 07:26pm

I also can't see any problem with cleaning bases, especially between innings and definitely if there was a slide play or such. How can I make a clean call if I can't even see where the edge of the base is?

FUBLUE Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:18pm

I'd like to thank my two partner's from tonight's game for cleaning the bases after that wild pitch.

wadeintothem Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:20pm

I do if i need to like to get back in position.. clean the plate.. or whatever. Not every time but often enough.