The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have my rule book with me but I was asked this question. No one on base.....ball is hit to LF line. Runner rounds second and a throw comes in to try to pick him off. The ball rolls past the bag towards the fence on the first base side. The ball HITS A GLOVE that was left on the field by the team that is BATTING. What do you have? I say the BR is out since he is the closest runner to home since the obstruction was cause by an offensive player's glove outside the dugout. Am I right?
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Rules - Point of Emphasis

18. Equipment on the playing field.
A. Thrown Ball.

If a thrown ball hits loose equipment belonging to the team at bat, a dead ball is declared immediately. If such action interferes with a play, interference is rules. The ball is dead, the runner being played on at the time of the interference shall be declared out, and each runner must return to the last base touched prior to the thrown ball hitting the loose equipment. If no appearant play is obvious, a blocked ball is ruled, no one is called out, and all runners must return to the last base touched at the time of the dead ball declaration.

If, in your judgment, there was indeed a play to be made on the runner then it's an out. But only if you think there was a play to be made, not just because it hit the glove.

[Edited by Alameda on Apr 18th, 2005 at 03:50 PM]
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

In ASA you would have a dead ball with the runner returning to the base last touched at the time the blocked ball occurred. Only if you feel that the blocked ball prevented the defense from getting an out would you penalize the offense with an out. From what you describe, it sounds like the ball was overthrown and then became blocked. Therefore, the runner would be at second.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 08:02am
Ref Ump Welsch

A little preventative officiating needed here. Tell the offense to get the dang glove off the field! You're not only setting yourself up for this kind of stich, but also a negligence suit if someone were to hurt themselves on that glove. (You never know if the 3 Stooges decide to show up!)
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Good Point.