The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

In basketball, I go through a pre-game with my partners before every contest. I have and use an 8.5" x 11" laminated check-list that specifies topics to cover (Lead, Trail, New Rules, etc.) and has a half-court diagram to cover area of responsibility in both 2 and 3 whistle mechanics.
Does anyone use this type of an aide before their softball contests? Does anyone have or know of a website that has one posted that I could review or download for either ASA or Fed?
TIA

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

We pretty much meet up 15 mins early and go over who's PU, etc and the ground rules. (*check some bats) As a rookie, the vet I'm working with has no problem with me asking a few mech Q's. These guys are very helpful, I'm lucky.

Other than that, it's the meeting with the coaches to exchange line-ups, go over ground rules, etc.

*One team had 1 single bat to use. It was a baseball bat. lol They had no idea it was illegal. That's when I told myself, "Welcome to Co-Ed". :/

[Edited by Alameda on Apr 13th, 2005 at 05:30 PM]
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

No One Does Pre-Games???

C'Mon.... Surely more of you go through a pre-game with your partners...
Ya know.... Get together at the game site an hour or so early with your partner... Jump in the back of your Ford Pinto Wagons... Break out your checklist ( That publication you keep in your gear bag with right next to safety toed shoes) and go down item by item while you polish your shoes and put on your gear.... Mano y mano....

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Re: No One Does Pre-Games???

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
C'Mon.... Surely more of you go through a pre-game with your partners...
Ya know.... Get together at the game site an hour or so early with your partner... Jump in the back of your Ford Pinto Wagons... Break out your checklist ( That publication you keep in your gear bag with right next to safety toed shoes) and go down item by item while you polish your shoes and put on your gear.... Mano y mano....
Unless I'm with a rook or umpire that is less than good at the job, my pre-game pretty much goes along the lines of "everything by the book."

Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Here is my check list cut and pasted from from my PDA to here. This is just my notes to myself of what to cover. I leave interpretation up to you, so you can use it to mean whatever you think is important. Some of this stuff is in the book but I like to cover it with folks I've not called with before. I usually skip most of it when I'm with a 'regular'.

Fair/foul.
BU in "b", who has 3rd on steal.
BU in foul, ? @ 2B.
BR gets BOB, PU watch third and second for lookback.
BU in "c", who has 1st on pickoff.
Check swing or other difference of opinions.
How to handle arguments.
How to handle a rundown.
Calling infield fly.
Timing play.