The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Yesterday afternoon our JV High School team faced a pitcher who had a very unusual windup. I'll do my best to describe it. She started with her hands separated followed by a rapid 180 degree counter-clockwise wind up with her arm fully extended. Then she quickly touched the ball to the glove which was held in front at the waist. She immediately reversed the motion to a typical windmill style and delivered the pitch. She didn't move forward until the motion was reversed. I am having difficulty finding any rule violations. Did this wind up violate ASA Section 3. A. (The pitcher must not make any motion to pitch without immediately delivering the ball to the batter.)? Any other violations? The reverse wind up was very effective in disrupting the timing of our batters.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

What you describe is legal. Read section 2 (ASA 6-2-FP) and see if that helps clarify your thinking any.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Are you playing H.S. ball under ASA rules?

Regardless, both ASA and NFHS have that same sentence about "immediately delivering," and in both books that is AFTER the hands have come together - so it is not applicable in your situation.

The use of the word "immediately" is poor writing; it does not mean split-second. It just means that once you start the pitch you have to go all the way to release - you cannot stop and step off the plate.

As described, the motion is legal.

WMB
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

No, we are playing under NFHS rules. I only have an ASA rule book to reference.

My initial thought was that the motion had to be legal since the pitcher's parents probably paid someone to teach her that pitching style. But, I don't like assuming anything. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mg43
She started with her hands separated followed by a rapid 180 degree counter-clockwise wind up with her arm fully extended. Then she quickly touched the ball to the glove which was held in front at the waist. She immediately reversed the motion to a typical windmill style and delivered the pitch.
Might be one situation where I would actually enforce the 1 sec minimum time the hands must be in contact. It is obviously (seems to me) intended to disguise the actual start of the pitch, kind of a moving quick pitch.

WMB, what do you think? I've never called a pitcher for violating the 1 sec minimum, but this might be the time.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

quickly touched the ball to the glove

the 1 sec minimum time the hands must be in contact

My position (and this is what I teach) is that if the ball is brought into the glove I will accept it as legal. If the ball is brought to the glove (ie., just touches the tip of the glove or backside) than it is illegal.

WMB