The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   FAIR BALL!!?? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/19604-fair-ball.html)

illiniwek8 Thu Apr 07, 2005 07:21pm

Ok...My question is this:

Batter hits ball which dies in front part of batter's box. I called it fair because I thought that the front part was actually in fair territory. This is a dead ball/foul? My partner came over between innings and told me I missed that one...doh! Was he right?

AtlUmpSteve Thu Apr 07, 2005 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally posted by illiniwek8
Ok...My question is this:

Batter hits ball which dies in front part of batter's box. I called it fair because I thought that the front part was actually in fair territory. This is a dead ball/foul? My partner came over between innings and told me I missed that one...doh! Was he right?

Maybe, but probably not. Extend the back lines of home plate to first and third base, through the batters boxes. If the ball stopped on or in front of that line, it is a fair ball. If behind the line, then foul.

You might ask him how he could tell, if he was in his proper position (preparing for an infield play) and watching his responsibilities (runners and fielders, not the position of the ball).

azbigdawg Thu Apr 07, 2005 08:15pm

umm..htbt..but it looks like you were right... and how the HECK can he tell you that?

illiniwek8 Thu Apr 07, 2005 08:39pm

Fair Ball

Thanks for your replies. I thought I was right...thanks for the confirmation.

kellerumps Thu Apr 07, 2005 08:52pm

HTBT...If the ball was in front of the plate....Fair Ball...Partner needs to keep thy mouth shut unless asked.

2 Weeks ago, the Mrs. is on the plate, I'm at first, NCAA D1 Game....Same thing. Bunt, close to being Fair/Foul, from 1st it looked fair, she called foul, I thought "Okay...Maybe I missed something". 1st base coach asks...."Did you call that?" "Nope" "It looked fair..." "<Insert Mrs. Keller Ump name> called it foul coach.".

Now what I am leaving out is this....I know her reactions, no matter how subtle so well, I KNEW she kicked it....After the game....Mrs. "Remember that bunt foul in the 2nd inning?" "Yep....You kicked it didn't you?" Stunned Look on her face...I said "That's Okay...the first round is on you now." Our third, who is a pretty good friend of ours just looked on in awe.... :)

The coolest thing, except for Mrs. and myself no one else had a clue.....

whiskers_ump Thu Apr 07, 2005 09:48pm

Mr. Keller Wrote:
<i>NCAA D1 Game....</i>

<i>"The coolest thing, except for Mrs. and myself no one else had a clue....."</i>

Hmmmm DC [dumb catcher]

kellerumps Fri Apr 08, 2005 07:23am

Quote:

<i>"The coolest thing, except for Mrs. and myself no one else had a clue....."</i>

Hmmmm DC [dumb catcher]
[/B]
The play happened so quickly, we aren't sure if the catcher was sure or not. In any case, no one said anything to her.