The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

I did not want to hijack the BR missing Home Plate after a HR thread, so I'm starting this new one here.

When is the proper time for giving the defense a new ball after an over the fence HR? The pitcher usually asks for one right away while the runners are still circling the bases, as they are usually anxious to move on with the game. But I always wait until I've watched all runners attempt to complete their running of the bases, and the BR has passed home.

The reason I bring this up is the aformentioned thread, where the BR fails to touch Home Plate, and if a new ball were put in play, that could lead to some confusion, if the new ball were used to appeal the BR who had not yet entered the team area.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

I don't know if there is a specified time (per rule), but I wait until all the base running is done with. You are supposed to be out there watching the runner/s anway, and putting a new ball in play shouldn't take you away from that responsibility.

Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

The protocol that I have been taught, and now teach myself, is the same as JEL stated. Watch the runner(s) touch each of the bases, and when the one who hit the homerun touches home plate, then pull a ball out of the ball bag and give it to the pitcher.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
The protocol that I have been taught, and now teach myself, is the same as JEL stated. Watch the runner(s) touch each of the bases, and when the one who hit the homerun touches home plate, then pull a ball out of the ball bag and give it to the pitcher.
That's the way I was taught. Wait until all runners have
crossed HP, then give new ball to catcher. (I usually
throw it away, bad arm.)
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Like Glen, I wait for the base running to be completed, then hand a ball to the catcher.

I never throw the ball to the pitcher, just about always hand it to the catcher.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

"(I usually throw it away, bad arm.)"

I never throw the ball to the pitcher anymore. Why make a fool of yourself when you have a 16 y.o. athlete (F2) standing right next to you.

Besides, most catchers want you to give the ball to them; they zealously protect that special relationship between them and their pitcher.

WMB
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
"(I usually throw it away, bad arm.)"

I never throw the ball to the pitcher anymore. Why make a fool of yourself when you have a 16 y.o. athlete (F2) standing right next to you.

Besides, most catchers want you to give the ball to them; they zealously protect that special relationship between them and their pitcher.

WMB
Being a former catcher, I resemble that remark and would further say, they would get jealous.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Well, technically, I also give to the catcher to give to the pitcher, I was just skipping the middle man, or woman as the case may be, in my reply!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Not trying to hi-jack thread, but can the catcher appeal BR missing home if you hand her the ball before runner gets to the dugout?
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Yes she can appeal the runner missing home until the next pitch. now I would have a dead ball appeal so I hope she just touches home or asks me about touching home to appeal it and doesn't follow her all the way to the dugout!!!
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by strike4
Not trying to hi-jack thread, but can the catcher appeal BR missing home if you hand her the ball before runner gets to the dugout?
The ball is irrelevant to anything that happens DURING a dead-ball period.

Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

So if she misses home plate...

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveASA/FED
Yes she can appeal the runner missing home until the next pitch. now I would have a dead ball appeal so I hope she just touches home or asks me about touching home to appeal it and doesn't follow her all the way to the dugout!!!

...do you wait until she enters the dug out to give the catcher the ball or allow the appeal. I know the ball is irrelevant during a Dead Ball appeal, but if you give the catcher the ball she might think she can appeal at that point.
So do you wait to avoid confusion? If not and she appeals, do you wait until the player is in DBT before honoring the appeal?

Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 06:43pm

I have been instructed by more than one conference coodinator to throw the ball to the pitcher rather than toss it to the catcher. The reason given was that it helps to reenforce the perception that the umpire is in control of the game. It's a small thing, but sometimes perception is reality in the minds of coaches. I also heard one coordinator tell an official it was OK for him to toss it to the catcher because he "threw like a girl".
I have seen some pretty poor throws myself, so I guess each official should have someone evaluate their throwing ability and advise them as to which way is best.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

BHBlue

Yes, but you know me, I can't hit the side of a barn if
I was in it. Pitchers get tired of bending over picking
up the ball that I have thrown them.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BHBlue
I have been instructed by more than one conference coodinator to throw the ball to the pitcher rather than toss it to the catcher. The reason given was that it helps to reenforce the perception that the umpire is in control of the game. It's a small thing, but sometimes perception is reality in the minds of coaches. I also heard one coordinator tell an official it was OK for him to toss it to the catcher because he "threw like a girl".
I have seen some pretty poor throws myself, so I guess each official should have someone evaluate their throwing ability and advise them as to which way is best.
The reason you give the ball to the catcher isn't to avoid embarrassment, though it may just do that.

Part of the reason is liability. Unfortunately, some umpires tend to show off their arms with a strong throw. Then there is the possibility that some pitchers just cannot catch or isn't paying attention. The umpire may pop out from behind the plate with a snappy throw only to clock the pitcher. Yes, I have seen this done.

Coaches can "perceive" what they want, it doesn't take a throw to the pitcher to demonstrate that I am in control of the game.