The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

The answer to my question is probably obvious but for some reason ( old age creeping in? ) I'm cloudy about this. Flex is playing 2nd. When the inning starts, Flex stays on the bench with coach informing me that DP is in for Flex. But when players take the field DP actually goes to 3rd with another player taking 2nd. All legal? Something tells me that when Flex sits down and DP is reported that positions don't matter. But I'm having a midday blank right now and I don't have my books with me.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

It's legal. Think of it this way...

FLEX goes out and takes 3rd instead of 2nd. Is that legal? Sure.

So, all the coach did was make a defensive position swap in addition to putting DP in for FLEX on defense.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

I'll give this one a shot:

Assuming the player that took over at second was a substitute, and speaking FED:

The substitution in itself is legal. However, with an unreported substitute taking the field, I will have a warned issued to the defensive team. The next unreported substitute will be restricted to the dugout.

Did I pass?

Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Dakota. Maybe it's the rain(no game today for sure)or just advancing senility but I was mentally blocked on that. Coach said he was going to stop by after work for some DP/Flex info and I wanted to be sure I was straight.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TwoBits
I'll give this one a shot:

Assuming the player that took over at second was a substitute, and speaking FED:

The substitution in itself is legal. However, with an unreported substitute taking the field, I will have a warned issued to the defensive team. The next unreported substitute will be restricted to the dugout.

Did I pass?

I don't think so. Where did you get an unreported sub? The scenario presented specifically notes that the coach reported the change.

Don't care where any player goes to play defense as long as it isn't someone taking the pitching position who is not permitted.

Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 05:02am
Official Forum Member

Remember, of the 10 listed on the line-up card any 9 may play defense at one time. The only time it gets tricky is batting, if the flex bats it must be for the DP and that is a substitution and takes the line up down to 9, which only those 9 may play defense. The DP may renter for the Flex in the batting order, and you again have 10 players eligible to play Defense. All of that said, on the second saturday of the week you can only play the bottom 9 players and bat all 10 if the team is wearing any red on its uniform.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Wink

That is true only during a leap year not ending with a one!
ASA Lifetime Member
ASA, NFHS, NCAA
[IAABO95]

Softball is serious, life is a mere distraction.
http://twitter.com/MASoftballUmpTJ