The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   FINALLY - on the field (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/19226-finally-field.html)

Steve M Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:14am

Finally made it onto the field yesterday. Lost 3 double headers & a high school game due to weather. A little stiff this morning, but that's OK.

Each game saw one illegal pitch and a couple of obstruction calls (not on rounding/returning). A bit annoyed that I messed up my timing on two pitches & probably missed them - timing should have been good as I saw close to 1500 pitches with a couple of college teams during indoor workouts. Really pleased with my base game, was in great position for each play and had good timing there.

Little Jimmy Sun Mar 20, 2005 08:46pm

I'm with you brother. Fri/Sat was my first days also. Plate on both with decent pitches being thrown. Weather was cool but sunny. Let the games begin.

whiskers_ump Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:03pm

Glad you both got to get on the fields finally.

BTW - Dakota, how did your dome games go?

I worked two good 4A schools Friday night. Had to call OBS four times
all against the same team. After the game, I gave the coach a copy
of the editorial you posted on your web. She needed it. Hope it helps
her convey to her team just how to cover bases. I have them next Thursday.

Dakota Mon Mar 21, 2005 04:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by whiskers_ump
BTW - Dakota, how did your dome games go?
It was great to get out and shake some of the rust off.

I did 4 HS scrimmages (70 min drop dead clock, coaches allowed to set up situations, etc.) so they weren't exactly games. Very low key. A lot of fun EXCEPT since they were Sat night (5:40 pm, 7:00, 8:20, and 9:40 start times) we were a bit short of volunteers from the association to take games, so I called these varsity scrimmages single man. I was just a bit leg weary by the 10:50 pm stop time.

Nothing particularly noteworthy about the play. Just great to be back at it.

SWFLguy Tue Mar 22, 2005 09:49am

one of the reasons I love it here
in SW FL-- a nice season, few rain outs
(at least previous years-- I lost 3 games
so far this season !)
back in CNY- wer'd be lucky to get a couple
of games in before May due to rain and poor
field conditions-- then it was wall to wall games
in May before play-offs !!

NorthAlaUmp Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:24pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Steve M
Finally made it onto the field yesterday. Lost 3 double headers & a high school game due to weather. A little stiff this morning, but that's OK.

Congratulations Steve & Little Jimmy. Here in North Alabama, we've been going for about 4 weeks now. Not as nice as Florida weather (wind chills in 20's for some of those games) but just had my first rain-out today, after about 25-30 games in that 4 weeks (including 5 last Saturday in a varsity tourney). Sorry, don't mean to rub it in; just REALLY loving this season.

BTW, Dr. Ben Gay is a miracle worker for that stiffness/soreness. Used it both before and after first week's games and haven't had a problem since.

Have fun out there!!

debeau Wed Mar 23, 2005 02:09am

It will be great to hear of any good plays / situations soon with all these games .
For me in New Zealand I am all done until end of September .
I will hibernate and read this forum daily .

WestMichBlue Wed Mar 23, 2005 03:46am

Forecast for Tue night.

"Cloudy with light snow likely late. Accumulations less than an inch. Lows in the upper 20s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 60 percent."

Not just West Mich, pretty much all across the Great Lakes region. Some schools have scrimages later this week, but not going to happen. Still have snow on ground and temps only in upper 30's and low 40's into next week.

Spring Break (Spring?) 4/1 through 4/8, then we will get going 5 nights a week starting April 11.

I still have a few VB matches left so I'll stay in the gym for another week. Then have a couple weeks off before SB.

WMB

argodad Wed Mar 23, 2005 01:42pm

Today's Pensacola forecast: "Abundant sunshine. High 72F." More of the same tomorrow. Kinda makes up for Hurricane Ivan.

I've called about 20 HS and JUCO games so far. It could be a lot more, but I take most days off to watch my daughter and her teammates play college ball.

Go Argonauts! (35-1 and #1 in the nation in D-II)

[Edited by argodad on Mar 24th, 2005 at 04:36 PM]

rj Thu Mar 24, 2005 09:03am

I've had enough snow

In case you were interested in an update from the Northeast; did a couple of scrimmages on Tuesday (54') - Thursday 8"-10" inches of snow. I don't think this winter is ever going to end?

whiskers_ump Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:26am

Re: I've had enough snow

Quote:

Originally posted by rj
In case you were interested in an update from the Northeast; did a couple of scrimmages on Tuesday <u>(54')</u> - Thursday 8"-10" inches of snow. I don't think this winter is ever going to end?
WOW, 54' with 8"-10" more inches.....LOL I guess this would
classify as a
smarta** answer, right Tom?

glen

Steve M Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:29am

I hear ya. Lost another 3 double headers this week - due to that white "stuff".

whiskers_ump Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:12pm

WOW, that's tough guys. I had to go to two different locations tonight
to do three games. We had 18 games scheduled in the district and we
only have 33 umpires. My last game was a jewel. 2-1 in 7, played in 1hr
18 mins.