The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone using these?

If so, what do you think of them?

My Honigs are in serious need of replacement.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

One of the guys I do some high school & summer ball with wears them. Loves them & swears he won't use anything else.

I'm not buying from Honigs or Davis anymore. I'm heading down the road to the store that makes the Davis shoes & getting their blems. The store is about 30 minutes from one of the colleges I'll work at this year, so I'll head to the game early & get several pair for some of the local guys. Two years ago, I got a pair of the patent leather plate shoes for $35 & I think they sell for better than 120.

Here's the web site
http://www.coveshoe.com

Maybe they will ship.

Oh yeah, the "blems" I got - the only thing I have found wrong was that there was an extra dollop of glue in a couple of spots. A razor blade took care of that.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

I have used the Tanel's now for about a year and a half. I love 'em! Comfortable, lightweight, but still good protection. Feels more like wearing a tennis shoe, than a plate shoe.

I used to wear the older Honigs and those felt like wearing cement blocks, however, some guys around here have bought the newer Honigs and they seen much lighter an better fitting. I will stick with the Tanel's. They are pricier than most, but in my opinion, worth it!
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

I know alot of guys that swear by them. I've got a pair of their base shoes, but found them to be a little narrow for my feet. I've heard the same complaints from others as well.

I just bought the Honig plate shoe along with the New Balance base shoe. Mrs. Kellerump is going to purchase the New Balance shoe as soon as we get our first spring tournament out of the way.....Next weekend

BTW...Those of you turned off by the big WHITE "N" on the NB base shoe can rest easy, its stiched on and it took me about 15 mins to remove. The result is still a great looking BUT most importantly comfortable shoe.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

I started using the Tanel base shoes and plate shoes both a little over a year ago after using Davis shoes. They are so much lighter and feel like slippers compared to others. Plus with the cicrcular cleat pattern my knees do not hurt anymore, even after 13 - 14 games on weekends during the summer tournement circuit. I won't ever wear anything else
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

All you bargain hunters (with big feet) should check out the Honig specials. Their manufacturer assembled the wrong sole to several pairs of larger shoes (both low and hi cut). They are being sold for $40!

WMB
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

I wear the tanel plate shoe and I agree with the others, it feels like a slipper and I won't ever wear any other kind. I used to have +pos and they did not allow me to move.

A fellow umpire said that his feet are too wide to fit into them.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Spoke with a Tanel rep both at an ASA National in August and at a NCAA clinic in January...according to the reps, Tanel said there is not a market for wide shoes. Both reps did mention that every person who asks for wide shoes has their comments given to those in charge at Tanel and both reps agreed that eventually Tanel will give wide shoes a look.

Until then, I have to stick with Honig's and their wide plate shoes and regular NB sneakers for the bases.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FUBLUE
Spoke with a Tanel rep both at an ASA National in August and at a NCAA clinic in January...according to the reps, Tanel said there is not a market for wide shoes.
Uh...Yeah Okay...Whatever I could be wrong, but New Balance has managed to carve out a nice little market share by making shoes that actually fit! When foot doctors recommend them, I figure they are on to something!
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps
Quote:
Originally posted by FUBLUE
Spoke with a Tanel rep both at an ASA National in August and at a NCAA clinic in January...according to the reps, Tanel said there is not a market for wide shoes.
Uh...Yeah Okay...Whatever I could be wrong, but New Balance has managed to carve out a nice little market share by making shoes that actually fit! When foot doctors recommend them, I figure they are on to something!
That's what I thought. New Balance is the only shoe I wear outside of umpiring...New Balance actually bought a "dress shoe company" called Dunhamj...took their large size sneaker technology and feel and put what the could into a great dress shoe...price is good too. When I wear dress shoes, they are the ONLY ones I wear.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

I tried the Tanel Plate, but I wear a triple E and they
were too narrow. I have NB base, (along with my EEE military)
base shoe. I went to the K80W EEE, They are great.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone have any idea how comparable sizes are to their regular shoe size? I'm considering getting some have reading these reviews but would have to order online.