The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Our favorite single-topic hobby-horse rider on eteamz has posted a link to a picture site for a recent NCAA tournament.

Here is the link: Ultimate College Softball 2005 Photo Gallery

I posted the following in response on eteamz, but I thought here might be a better place for some frank umpire talk on these pictures.

-----------------

Since I don't call NCAA, I don't know how the umpires are taught / graded. NCAA is notoriously coach-controlled, however.

In ASA, the following pics would appear to be an illegal replant (note: pivot foot is flat on the ground or on the ball of the foot, knee of pivot leg is bent, windmill motion is still at 12:00 or so):

vegas18.jpg
vegas2.jpg
vegas22.jpg
vegas23.jpg
vegas28.jpg

These are all on the vegas1 page.

I'll hot link (assuming the site allows it) to the most obvious one (vagas22):

Comments?
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Ok now

I have problems with 20, 21 but not 22, maybe the angle is bad on 22 but I couldn't say anything about it as the picture is presented
The rest look ok to me unless I am missing something that is not obvious
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Real good pictures! Thanks for the links.

I agree that all five are replants. In no case could the pitcher have dragged the foot during the delivery of the pitch and produced those postures, not with the ball still so high.

I have no doubt the umps were on the ball and called an illegal pitch on all five.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

One of my faves

The pitcher pictured above is Sara L from up here in the Seattle area...graduate of Skyline HS...and yes, she has had a replanting, ummmm, problem at times in the past. I wonder if anyone actually called it. Heck, too many people don;t call leaping, which is IMHO a far worse problem.

But, yep, replanting is becoming more of a scourge and needs to be called. If we don't crack down, it's going to be a BIGGER problem.

And, FYI, last year we caught her "defacing" the game ball we had given her to warm up with by rubbing it on the concrete in the dugout...BUT she's a good kid.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Surely she started in that position, no one could miss that. Maybe it is like a lot of fields around here. They have the two rubbers in place since most utilize same field
for slow-pitch. Yea, that's it, we just cannot see the second rubber.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Surely she started in that position, no one could miss that. Maybe it is like a lot of fields around here. They have the two rubbers in place since most utilize same field
PITCHER'S PLATE
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Better excuse than the clown who said she was pitching from a 40' plate while we see the 43' plate; WHILE WEARING AN OBVIOUS COLLEGE UNIFORM. But (and I know you were being facetious), that doesn't explain the circle being misdrawn around the 50' slowpitch plate during a college game.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AtlUmpSteve

Better excuse than the clown who said she was pitching from a 40' plate while we see the 43' plate; WHILE WEARING AN OBVIOUS COLLEGE UNIFORM. But (and I know you were being facetious), that doesn't explain the circle being misdrawn around the 50' slowpitch plate during a college game.
I don't know about that, ie the circle being mis-drawn.
I have been in many places where things like that have happened and it wasn't fixed properly.

Heck, I did a Men's Fastpitch National where the circle was drawn around the 40" plate even though we used the correct one.

Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I have also worked at fields where the ground crew doesn't get it, and we gave up. But, never at a Div 1 NCAA game or tournament; the circle would be redrawn if incorrect. Even if the umpires didn't care to correct it, the outraged outcry of the coaches would have kept them from playing on an imperfect field. They pay more attention to that, than the obvious illegality of their pitcher.

Anyone who doesn't REALLY think that is a replant is living in a dream world, I believe.