The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 25, 2001, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

My question is when do you step in to help another umpire when things are starting to get out of control. When you are the BU of a game usally the PU is in control of the game but sometimes because of inexperience or certain situations occur the PU seems to lose control of a game trying to use preventive umpiring when is it ok for the other ump to step in or do you just sit back and hope for the game to hurry up and end.

Any suggestion would be appreciated. Do umpires that are calling in higher levels usally have signals between each other when help is needed or just by knowledge know when to come in?

Thanks

Don
Old Sun Feb 25, 2001, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

I don't use any secret signals to call my partner over. When I need to include my partner in a discussion, I call him/her over.

In discussions, I'll almost always only deal with 1 person at a time. If several players come over, I'll stop things before they get started by stating "Captain or coach only please. I can only handle dealing with one person at a time." If I'm in a discussion with a captain or coach and it looks like it's getting heated, I expect my partner to be within hearing distance of my voice. I do not raise my voice when I'm speaking with a team rep about a call or rule, so my partner should be no more than 10 feet away. This will give me someone I can trust to verify what was said, it gives me someone to shield me from others who might want to join in, AND if it comes to an ejection, my partner will ensure that the ejected person leaves quickly - I eject turn my back and walk away. I do the same things for my partners. With a rookie or near rookie, I make sure that I'm close but do not join in unless I'm asked OR if I hear a rule mis-interpreted or mis-applied.

With my "regular partners", our pre-game consists of "nothing new? ok, same as always." or "I'd like to try this tonight, so...." With a new ump or someone that I do not often work with, we'll need 15 minutes or so to go over things - and "help" in discussion & confrontations is something we talk about.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2001, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Quote:
Originally posted by oppool
My question is when do you step in to help another umpire when things are starting to get out of control. When you are the BU of a game usally the PU is in control of the game but sometimes because of inexperience or certain situations occur the PU seems to lose control of a game trying to use preventive umpiring when is it ok for the other ump to step in or do you just sit back and hope for the game to hurry up and end.

Any suggestion would be appreciated. Do umpires that are calling in higher levels usally have signals between each other when help is needed or just by knowledge know when to come in?

Thanks

Don
When it gets out of control I think you step in to assist your partner and maintain control. It may be that the PU is less experienced and perhaps should have already ejected someone. If the comments have been personal against your partner you certainly can eject. Perhaps it is the head coach who is losing control over a perceived blown call. You can play "peacemaker" by telling the coach "he's made his call. He's not going to change it", as you try to steer him away and get the game resumed. Jim/NY