The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

It's been in the teens all week and now we are getting what was forcasted as 6" to 12" of snow, but it started early and It's coming hard, so some areas are probably looking at 9" to 15" inches or more.

Thank you

Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to 1231234
Snow now no softball season in site yet.

Started snowing about 3,4 hrs ago in So. Jersey & I'd figure 3 plus inches already. Close to an inch an hour.
At this rate we'll be in deep by tonite.
Seems like S'Ball season will never come if this stuff keeps coming.
Any word on how the NCAA S'ball Mtg/Clinic went last week in Philly. Anything new or earth shattering rules wise ?
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I'm happy. You can have it. The storm left Michigan several hours ago.

I was out at 6am moving 10" of snow out of the parking lot; then again at noon removing the last 4-5". And I will take a warm up into the teens; it hardly gets out of single digits the last week or so.

Whatever - ONLY 57 DAYS TILL SPRING!

WMB
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Same stuff, here in north central Pa.

As for the college clinic last weekend - no new rules, but big emphasis on identifying/defining and calling obstruction. Check the cactus site in mid-February for some downloads. The downloads will not be made available until after all of the clinics have taken place.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

My opinion on Minnesota is that it is about time. I could see the grass in my front yard until yesterday. Finally it looks like winter.
We deal with it and then softball starts. I can't wait.

I was at a clinic put on by Emily Alexander today. She didn't like the snow too much.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Emily Alexander is a Goddess..
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I'm sorry

Season starts 2/2 with games in Abilene and have games every day that week. Then it gets busy. Looking forward to Rebel games in Fla in March. You guys can come south like the teams do for the first month. We need the help.

And yes, Emily is a goddess

Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

In an answer to 1231234. The thing about the clinic I was at today was the emphasis in the NCAA about obstructed runners when no play is made.

R1 takes off from 2nd base, the shortstop obstructs her on the way back. The catcher doesn't throw the ball down. The umpire will warn the player and inform the coach. The plate umpire will document what player was warned. If it happens again the obstructed runner will be awarded 3rd.

We were given a detailed video presentation on what is "about to receive". ASA and Fed. have gone to "No ball no block" The NCAA doesn't want to go there and wants to keep those great plays in the game.

We as umpires have to call obstruction when it occurs even if the player was safe. This is so the coaches know what is going to be called and that we see it.

The emphasis was on looking for the obstruction before looking for the tag.

The clinic was well worth my time and those of you in Texas should attend in Dallas.

I apologize for the BLATANT hijacking of this post.

[Edited by Rachel on Jan 22nd, 2005 at 10:34 PM]
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Rachel,

No problem on the HI-JACK, another MN person does it
all the time. Just kidding Tom.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Winter Texan Senior Softball League started on Jan. 4 here in the Rio Grande Valley. Doing a minimum of 4 games per week.

The nation-wide onslaught of nasty weather has invaded us too. 'Twas 83 in McAllen, TX yesterday but awoke to a very chilling 50 this morn.

Cheers!

Bill
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Baker
Winter Texan Senior Softball League started on Jan. 4 here in the Rio Grande Valley. Doing a minimum of 4 games per week.

The nation-wide onslaught of nasty weather has invaded us too. 'Twas 83 in McAllen, TX yesterday but awoke to a very chilling 50 this morn.

Cheers!

Bill
Damn, another Texan!

What do you guys do, publish this web site on billboards!

No, someone probably uses "official.com" as a brand!

Bill, say hello to Joe Brown for me.

Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel
In an answer to 1231234. The thing about the clinic I was at today was the emphasis in the NCAA about obstructed runners when no play is made.

R1 takes off from 2nd base, the shortstop obstructs her on the way back. The catcher doesn't throw the ball down. The umpire will warn the player and inform the coach. The plate umpire will document what player was warned. If it happens again the obstructed runner will be awarded 3rd.
Sounds more like baby-sitting to me. Obviously, another "coach's" rule based on what another coach is teaching.

Quote:
We were given a detailed video presentation on what is "about to receive". ASA and Fed. have gone to "No ball no block" The NCAA doesn't want to go there and wants to keep those great plays in the game.
Just out of curiosity, what "great plays"? Sounds like they want to be more like baseball. I never had a problem with the "about to receive" caveat to the obstruction rule. However, I cannot help feeling that this, too, is coach-initiated. As we have seen, and have read folks on some boards post, such "great plays" shouldn't be denied because of an umpire's judgment on about to receive. We all probably know an umpire or two, including some who work NCAA, that will not step up and make the big call if they feel it will get them criticized or draw an argument. I know, maybe they shouldn't be there, but sometimes they are. Believe we saw demonstrations of it going both ways last year in the NCAA Championship Series and the Olympics.

Quote:
We as umpires have to call obstruction when it occurs even if the player was safe. This is so the coaches know what is going to be called and that we see it.
Speaking ASA, this has always been so and I have taught it that way for the 10 years I've been at some level of instruction. The book tells you what to do when you see it. It doesn't tell you to not call it based on what you believe will eventually happen. It looks terrible when an umpire fails to call obstruction, turns out it affects the play, and the umpire is going to look like an *** one way or the other.

Quote:
The emphasis was on looking for the obstruction before looking for the tag.
I don't know if that is the correct way to say it (as I can see some taking it a bit literally and miss the remainder of the play altogether), but I don't think there is anything different than what an umpire has supposed to have done for years.

Quote:
The clinic was well worth my time and those of you in Texas should attend in Dallas.
They usually are. There is no such thing as too many clinics. I'm sure I'm not alone on this, but nothing gets my goad like an umpire who thinks, "I've been doing this for ..... years, what can they teach me?" These are the folks who either don't show up at clinics, or stand in the back of the room telling anyone who will listen about hoe "he" will do things. How often have we seen this type of umpire be sooooo out of date, it is embarrassing to work with him/her?

Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

The NCAA is the coaches game. The coaches write the rules. The main points of emphasis in this year's clinic were "Obstruction, batter interference and hit by pitch". These were the things that the coaches and the umpire evaluators felt that were not consistantly called. It is also where the wiley players were working on their acting skills in an attempt to help their team.
The video footage about what is and is not Obs, Int. and HBP was very useful for those who want to call it right.

I'm not ripping on the ASA. I knew umpires that were calling about to receive if the ball was in the infield. I've known coaches that said they were going to teach their kids to obstruct because they wanted to take the chance to get the out. The punishment was only that they would be safe anyway.

It is the umpire that will make the right call even if it will cause an arguement. If all the umpires are consistantly calling something it won't be argued anymore it will be expected.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The punishment was only that they would be safe anyway.
The exact reason I think it is such a problem. You don't see many folks throwing gloves. Perhaps they should make obstruction a three base award if they really wanted it stopped.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Ump
Quote:
The punishment was only that they would be safe anyway.
The exact reason I think it is such a problem. You don't see many folks throwing gloves. Perhaps they should make obstruction a three base award if they really wanted it stopped.
ASA rules more likely offer reconciliation as opposed to punishment.

Yes, obstruction is taught by some unethical coaches, but more often than not, it is unintentional. Quite often, so is interference.

All ASA does is compensate the offended team by giving them nothing more or less than what they most likely would have had if there was no violation. The only time ASA really allows for an additional penalty is when it is obvious the violation is intentional to the point of ejecting the player.