The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Where to get a coin? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/16864-where-get-coin.html)

Skahtboi Thu Oct 01, 2009 08:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkupka (Post 628117)
Never thought I'd write about it, but...

"Okay ladies, which of you travelled further?
Okay, team A, which one of you will call it?
Okay miss, what will you call?
Okay coach, home or away?"

Bull#@!!... that part of my pregame goes like this:
"You're heads, you're tails." flip, boom, let's play ball.

(oh, yeah, the winner does pick home or away)

I've done this all year, not one complaint yet.

I have been doing that since, well, always!

Dakota Thu Oct 01, 2009 09:35am

I don't understand the issue with just letting the kids go through their little ritual.

Skahtboi Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 628235)
I don't understand the issue with just letting the kids go through their little ritual.

I rarely see kids at a plate meeting, so this is just a more efficient way of getting things done. Case in point, plate meetings so far this year, probably around 200 or so. Plate meetings where kids were present: 0. Usually I will get one or maybe two a year where there are kids present at a plate meeting.

Dutch Alex Thu Oct 01, 2009 02:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkupka (Post 628117)
Never thought I'd write about it, but...

"Okay ladies, which of you travelled further?
Okay, team A, which one of you will call it?
Okay miss, what will you call?
Okay coach, home or away?"

Bull#@!!... that part of my pregame goes like this:
"You're heads, you're tails." flip, boom, let's play ball.

(oh, yeah, the winner does pick home or away)

I've done this all year, not one complaint yet.

As I wrote, never have to use a coin, however you started to make me think... (once in a lifetime :rolleyes: )

The team that travelled further can't be playing "home", therefore skip that coin-thing.

"Okay coaches, team A has it's hometown closesedby, therefor they're playing home."
PlayBall!

BlitzkriegBob Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 628285)
I rarely see kids at a plate meeting, so this is just a more efficient way of getting things done. Case in point, plate meetings so far this year, probably around 200 or so. Plate meetings where kids were present: 0. Usually I will get one or maybe two a year where there are kids present at a plate meeting.

One of the odd things that I experienced working NSA tournaments was that ALL the players from both teams were required to be at the plate meeting. Presumably so that they could hear the instructions about what was allowed and not allowed. I know you'll love this Wade...we were expected to remind the players that shirt tails were to be tucked in all the way around. Yeah, I thought it was OOO, but that seems to be SOP.

Also, after watching my partner do the double flip thing, when my turn came around I decided I wasn't going to do that. I only did a single flip, like I normally would. Later I was told that a double flip is required. It was "You're heads, you're tails", but the winner of that flip won the honor of calling the second flip. I didn't much care for that either. I was using my ASA flipping coin though!

I also had to get a kitchen timer. We not only had the PU running a timer, but the BU had to sync his timer with the PU and keep his over behind first base. I suppose that was for emergency purposes in case someone's timer ran out of battery power.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Oct 02, 2009 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob (Post 628500)
I suppose that was for emergency purposes in case someone's timer ran out of battery power.

No, it was in case the KTTs (Kitchen Timer Troll) from the Northwest Region was lurking near your backstop and confiscated it.:D

CecilOne Fri Oct 02, 2009 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 628554)
No, it was in case the KTTs (Kitchen Timer Troll) from the Northwest Region was lurking near your backstop and confiscated it.:D

:D :D
Second best of week ;)

bniu Sun Oct 04, 2009 09:41pm

get a double headed quarter. See how long it takes before a coach realizes it, especially if you only show them one side of it. :D