The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Opinions Requested (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/16426-opinions-requested.html)

IRISHMAFIA Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:36pm

On my last day in Mobile, Alabama, I was approached by a member of the NUS with a request.

He asked me to see if I could gather feedback on how umpires around the country would feel about an ASA Advanced National School for Slow-Pitch.

This is in the very early development stage. So far, they are thinking of Atlanta (cheap airline tickets) in early March for about four days total. The format would basically go a step beyond where the National School ends.

I am sure whatever feedback you can provide would be appreciated. Please contact other umpires in your area and convey their sentiments on the subject.

I would appreciate this info by Dec 01.

Thanks,

[Edited by IRISHMAFIA on Nov 13th, 2004 at 10:39 PM]

JEL Sun Nov 14, 2004 07:46am

I do very little slow-pitch, (10 or less per season) but being so close to Atlanta (I'm to cheap to buy airline tickets!) I would consider attending.

A four day school might be a bit too much time away from work though, a more condensed version (W/E) would be more appealing to me.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Nov 14, 2004 09:31am

Quote:

Originally posted by JEL
I do very little slow-pitch, (10 or less per season) but being so close to Atlanta (I'm to cheap to buy airline tickets!) I would consider attending.

A four day school might be a bit too much time away from work though, a more condensed version (W/E) would be more appealing to me.

You cannot do it in a weekend. Are you implying that because it is SP, it can happen in a shorter period of time than that of FP? I certainly hope not.

Please let me make this clear. This is a step beyond anything else one may have experienced. This would not be for someone who is just looking for a school. Most likely, many things will be assumed such as your knowledge of the rules, present mechanics and the ability to perform and adapt to specific situations. It may very well include a fair amount of classroom work such as presenting solutions to case plays including rulings and the proper mechanics to cover the given play.

It may also involve working a tournament set up just for the school.

I wouldn't doubt that should this become a reality, ASA would tie it in as a qualifier or a substitute for a requirement for the Elite program.

scottk_61 Sun Nov 14, 2004 01:08pm

Give it a yes

I know I would go, I have gone to the Fast Pitch Advanced Camp and would like to see a Slow Pitch one.
I have asked 5 locals so far, and they are all interested

JEL Sun Nov 14, 2004 03:43pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
[B]
Quote:

Originally posted by JEL

You cannot do it in a weekend. Are you implying that because it is SP, it can happen in a shorter period of time than that of FP? I certainly hope not.

I am not implying anything. I just stated that four days away from work might be a bit too much for me since I don't do much slowpitch. You asked for feedback, that is mine.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Nov 14, 2004 04:04pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JEL
I am not implying anything. I just stated that four days away from work might be a bit too much for me since I don't do much slowpitch. You asked for feedback, that is mine.
Sorry, my misread. However, if you don't do a lot of SP, this is probably not a school which may not be that beneficial to you.

oppool Mon Nov 15, 2004 04:55pm

My thoughts

I would be in favor for a SP only training for advanced umpires. I would like to see it tied in with a PAID tournament so the umpire could coup some of the cost of the schooling while attending. My suggestion would be to make some tight restriction on qualifing so certain UIC dont just send their pet umpires or like at National school where there were umpires that havent even been on the field yet attending which caused a lot of wasted time for the veteren umpires. Would also think 3 full days of training over 4 days would be more attractive letting the umpire fly in on Thurs night and leave on Sunday evening, that way less time off work needed and more would be able to attend

JMOs

Don

azbigdawg Mon Nov 15, 2004 06:47pm

This is a Good Idea.....I attended the very last Advanced school for SP, and it was mostly FP with some SP on the side. (The side benefit was that I learned how to do FP)..We need a longer national school for SP,and it does need to be connected to a large tournament. I am all for this.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Nov 15, 2004 07:22pm

Re: My thoughts

Quote:

Originally posted by oppool
I would be in favor for a SP only training for advanced umpires. I would like to see it tied in with a PAID tournament so the umpire could coup some of the cost of the schooling while attending. My suggestion would be to make some tight restriction on qualifing so certain UIC dont just send their pet umpires or like at National school where there were umpires that havent even been on the field yet attending which caused a lot of wasted time for the veteren umpires. Would also think 3 full days of training over 4 days would be more attractive letting the umpire fly in on Thurs night and leave on Sunday evening, that way less time off work needed and more would be able to attend

JMOs

Don

Don,

I agree with the tournament and I don't know of any where the umpire wouldn't be paid as long as it was a true tournament, not one specifically set up for training.

As I stated before, this will be for advanced umpires. If anyone shows up unprepared, I wouldn't want to be in their shoes, especially if Bernie is one of the instructors.

PennState Thu Nov 25, 2004 08:58am

Slow pitch Advanced School

I believe that this would be a great idea. I work both Slow and Fast Pitch and would enjoy attending a school such as this and learning from the best. I agree with Don (oppool) that there would need to be some requirement for attendance to prevent unprepared umpires from attending. I believe that a good umpire can always learn more!

AtlUmpSteve Fri Nov 26, 2004 09:18am

Re: Re: My thoughts

[/B]
Quote:

Don,

I agree with the tournament and I don't know of any where the umpire wouldn't be paid as long as it was a true tournament, not one specifically set up for training.

As I stated before, this will be for advanced umpires. If anyone shows up unprepared, I wouldn't want to be in their shoes, especially if Bernie is one of the instructors.

[/B]
Mike, when I attended the National Advanced Umpire School on Killeen (2002, before they renamed it the Fast Pitch School), it included working a Gold Sector Qualifier; and we were NOT paid. To the best of my knowledge, that has been the standard there. Bob was part of that staff (the last year any slow pitch was included, it was discontinued because of the poor support of slow pitch umpires), and can verify that.

azbigdawg Fri Nov 26, 2004 09:32am

True. I was in the same school, and worked a couple of games for nothing....

IRISHMAFIA Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by azbigdawg
And that is the feedback I received. My problem would be that if you are going to work a "real" tournament, you should be getting paid. If it is a set-up expressly for the school which has absolutely no desired outcome other than the teams getting a work-out, then I could understand that it be part of the school.

whiskers_ump Fri Nov 26, 2004 09:40pm

Quote:

Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

Originally posted by azbigdawg
And that is the feedback I received. My problem would be that if you are going to work a "real" tournament, you should be getting paid. If it is a set-up expressly for the school which has absolutely no desired outcome other than the teams getting a work-out, then I could understand that it be part of the school.

Try joining a conference for NCAA. You pay for the session
and are also required to work games on Sat. and Sun. and all 7 innings
without the pay. Those game can get long. They only utilize the 8
after five run rule. At least that was the procedures for the SWAC and SEC/USA
conference.

rleaster Wed Dec 08, 2004 06:07pm

I would welcome a SP four day school in Atlanta. I have attended the National two day schools for the past eight years and always learn something;however, a more advanced school would be great. Count me in.