The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 11, 2001, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Question

B1 hits a gapper to right B1 rounds 2nd and hears F6 yell you got him at 3rd B1 stops and dives back into 2nd stands up and sees f9 just now picking the ball up to throw it in.
Would this fall under the fake tag and obstruction rule as I read it it would but have never seen it called that way.
What you thinks guys??
Old Sun Feb 11, 2001, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Nope, you are not going to get that one. The offense has a duty to be aware of what is happening on the field. The runner even has a coach to direct him/her to make sure they have proper guidance on the bases.

The defender made no act or comment directed to the runner which placed him/her in jeopardy or detered them from running the bases in the proper order.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2001, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Ain't gonna happen in high school, either.

I had a really DMR last season. Nobody on, Batter hits ball into RF and my partner is hung up in foul territory due to throw coming in from RF. Throw misplayed by 1B and I move from 25-30 ft up foul line towards 2B side of pitcher's circle, saying "Rod, I have second and third" to my partner.
Batter-runner hears this, rounds 1B and walks to 2B. Catcher gets ball & throws to 2B, and B-R is tagged out. When the coach sez "What were you doing, walking into 2B like that?!?!" Girl replies,"The ump said I have 2b, so I just walked on in." This coach - not much more knowledgable of the game than his runner - wanted his runner put back on 1B since it was "umpire error" that caused her to be out.

She was blonde and maybe even a cheerleader, caoch mighta been the same - except he was bald. Duh.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2001, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Steve,
Did you forget the Fed obstruction definition?

2-5-3 "Obstruction is an act (intentional or unintentional, physical or verbal) by a fielder, any member of the defensive team or its team personnel which hinders a runner of changes the pattern of play....)

I'll agree if the runner mistakes what an umpire says or what a defensive player says its not obstruction. However if the defensive player makes some statement that is intended to confuse a runner and therby alter the pattern of play you might have obstruction in a Fed game.

Further, inteference may also be verbal or physical.

See case book Play 2.5.2 Situation A for verbal inteference.

See case book Play 8.3.2 Situation K for verbal obstruction.

Roger Greene,
Member UT
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Roger,
I agree that you can have verbal obstruction. In the play I cited though, all that happened was that F3 misplayed a throw from F9 and F2, who was coming down the line, picked the ball up. Normal stuff isn't verbal obstruction. It was awful hard not to out & out laugh at the coach.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Steve,
Thats why I agreeed that a runner's mistake wasn't obstruction.

I must have misunderstood you. I thought your first line was dismissing verbal obstruction in Fed ball.

Sorry 'bout that.

Roger Greene,
Member UT