The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   My first ejection! (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/15958-my-first-ejection.html)

buddha69 Mon Oct 18, 2004 07:30am

We started doing One pitch tournaments on friday nights, down here. This is the 3rd week we did it and more teams are coming out. 1st we only had 4 teams, 2nd week had 6 teams, then last week we had 9 teams. While anyways here it goes.

R1 on first. BR hits the ball to F6, F6 gets the shot from the ball, can't get it, ball hits his glove falls to the ground, rolls away from him. R1 goes to second F4 goes to 2nd base, F6 final gets the ball throws to F4 on the low side F4 gets ball, but does not have possession of the ball cause it is on the ground, trying to get it in his hands. R1 gets to 2nd base, I called "SAFE". F4 starts to bellyache calling that it was a bad call, that I don't know what I'm doing. That I am the worst Umpire that he seen. The boy does not know me from jack and calling me a worst umpire so I started to laugh it off. He then starts to throw F Bombs in this little outing. The next batter his the ball in the out field, runner that was on 2nd scores, the ball comes in to F4, I button hook in, as I look to 1st to see BR touch 1st. I turn towards 2nd, he gets the ball and starts to Say "owe just turn your back I will hit you with the ball, get in my way I'm going to hit you. I brush it off, as I start to get ready for the next play, he start with the F bombs, That is it. I called time, walk to home plate and as my partner who is the coach for the team. the replies with F9 right center, so I called him in I walk up to him and told him that F4 is out of the ball game. He ask why. I told him for cursing and threating an umpire. He does not get a warning. So Coach tell him to go, you are on the clock, the more he is on the field the more time you are wasting to get back up to bat.

Man that was pretty to see him leave, then the rest of the monkeys gallery calling from the dugout. I told the coach anymore remarks from the dugout that he was next to go and so on.

I was going to give him a warning for the F bombs, but when you threaten my life for a call. You got to go!!!!!!!!!!

Have a nice day!!!! Dumbass!!!!!

Bagman62 Mon Oct 18, 2004 08:05am

Buda, I am surprised you let it go that long.

"F BOMB" Gone, history, out of here... NO warning.

I have 3 things that will get you the door without warning.
1. Question if my parents were married when I was born
2. F Bomb and similar language or ask me to perform un-natural acts with my self
3. Bring the Lord's name into the conversation in a negative manner

By the way you can count my ejections for these 3 items on one hand in the past 20 years if you are "3 Finger Brown".

The only exception would be Men's Modified Nationals where I understand if the fans do not hear it, anything starting with "F" is ignored or there would be very few teams left.

Skahtboi Mon Oct 18, 2004 08:37am

I concur with Bagman. One time with the F-Bomb and the player is gone. (True with similar language.) With the threat, he should have been gone, and the threat reported to league officials and possibly to the police. (Depends on how genuine I felt he was.) Anytime that someone makes it personal (i.e. "you suck," "you are the worst umpire I have ever seen...etc.") and they are gone as well. You definitely let that one stay way too long.

whiskers_ump Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:44am

Man,

You let this guy stay wayyyyyy toooo long. You got way
too much patience.

Lost him on first "F" word.

Steve M Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:51am

The first one is probably the hardest one - we tend to take way too much before tossing somebody. They come easier after that. Experience will let you know whether your giving them enough rope to hang themselves. You don't want to take too much, but you want to make sure you don't eject too quickly.

Now, with your F4, I am not going to my partner or the player's coach to quietly let them know he's gone. When I toss that clown, I'm pointing at him and giving him a big finger ejection. I want everyone to know that clown is gone, that I tossed him. My partner will approach the coach and ask for the replacement's name - to put it on his lineup card.

Experience will also tell you when to toss somebody quietly, by going to the coach, and when to use the "big finger ejection".

IRISHMAFIA Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:39pm

I agree you allowed the player to stay around too long. I also agree that there are no warnings for USC.

However, I disagree about your concern with the "F-bomb" or whatever generic cover name you prefer. Unless directed toward you, your partner or the other team, it is irrelevant to me. BTW, speaking ASA, there is no rule concerning cursing of any type.

It is more likely that the magic word will be "you" or some derivitive of that word.

Let me tell you from experience that the more you let them get away with, the more you will hear. I'm not talking about the "one more word" comments (as they should never be made by an umpire) or expect umpires to look for things.

Softball myth - Not cursing keeps you in the game. WRONG!

Let the players play the game, but do not let them control it.

buddha69 Mon Oct 18, 2004 01:07pm

thanks guys I really did not know how to do it. But I DO NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!!

WestMichBlue Mon Oct 18, 2004 01:42pm

"F4 starts to bellyache calling that it was a bad call, that I don't know what I'm doing. That I am the worst Umpire that he seen."

I agree with the others that you waited too long; however, unlike the others, I would had him gone even sooner. (see above sentence.)

With adults I am willing to let them bit-- 'n moan for a long time. The vulgarities are not going to bother me as long as they are not loud or overly obnoxious.

BUT - the first time a derogatory comment is directed at me, they have stepped over the line. "Bad call, Blue" or "I can't believe you called that" is OK; "you suck" or "you are a lousy ump" and they are history.

WMB

Skahtboi Mon Oct 18, 2004 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally posted by WestMichBlue

I agree with the others that you waited too long; however, unlike the others, I would had him gone even sooner...

...the first time a derogatory comment is directed at me, they have stepped over the line. "Bad call, Blue" or "I can't believe you called that" is OK; "you suck" or "you are a lousy ump" and they are history.

WMB

Ummm....WMB, that is what I said in my post above, and I believe that I qualify as an "other." :rolleyes:

WestMichBlue Mon Oct 18, 2004 05:47pm

"Ummm....WMB, that is what I said in my post above, and I believe that I qualify as an "other.""

Ahh, yeah Scott; you are definately qualified to be an "other." :p

I thought your emphasis was on the F-bomb and the threat, and my point was that the player was already gone before it even reached that point. Your comment about the player calling you names was almost an afterthought.

Whatever, we all (all the "others") agree that buddha waited too long. With adult men I would rather get a reputation as being "trigger happy" than being tolerant.

I am extremely tolerent in high school games; it would take an act of war for me to eject a HS coach or player. Travel ball and rec league is nearly the same, but I don't put up with too much from those coaches. Adult leagues - BANG you're gone! If you are going to see those same players week after week you better get control early, or it is going to be a long season.

WMB

buddha69 Tue Oct 19, 2004 06:54am

Thanks guys, I am glad get help from you Older Vets. Now I learn my lesson. See you in 2005.

gsf23 Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:46am

Do any of you guys umpire in states that have the Casual Profanity Rule. That is what it is called here in North Dakota. They instituted it here about, I'd say 12 years ago or so, effectively wiped out swearing in softball.

jxt127 Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:20am

In the code we use here.

"Profanity - is the use of swear or curse words and/or severe words of contempt and disrespect."

".. directing or uttering profanities at an umpire, another player or participant, and/or utters profanities whereby the spectators an hear it, after a warning has been given to both teams for the first infraction of profanity from either team."

The specified penalty for the second and subsequent offences is an out. If the offending player can be called out they are. So if the offender is a coach, for example, the next batter on his team is out. If it's the batter and the batter is put out on a play then the next batter on his team is out.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:58am

Can someone please post an all-inclusive list of words or statements not morally acceptable on or around a softball field?

Of course, no one can as the meaning of many different words vary by region. The problem with these rules like this is that they are to subjective.

Who is to determine what is acceptable and what is not? I certainly don't need some idiot on a council setting guidelines for players. Besides, you think people don't swear just because someone bans a word?

Making love, ****ing, boffing, boinking, screwing, humping, etc. all have a similar meaning. For that matter with the exception of the single word censored, I have heard them all on broadcast TV, but why is that one particular word censored and others are not?

When there is a language God, I'll worry about being the language police.

mcrowder Tue Oct 26, 2004 01:11pm

I've heard the censored one on broadcast TV - both on Schindler's List and on one episode of NYPD Blue.

I agree with Mike - there is no official list of profane words, so any rule based on such a premise is faulty.

Dakota Tue Oct 26, 2004 01:28pm

I'm somewhat amazed by umpires who are fretting over a rule that requires judgment.

I agree such a rule has no place in a national rule book.

However, we have a local (state) rule called the "Family Atmosphere" rule or some such which works very well in the JO arena. I can't say about adult ball, since I don't call adult ball.

I would not at all be surprised if I learned that even here the rule is enforced very differently in different leagues and in different areas of the state. So what? I've used the rule a time or two, but only in the sense of warning the coach that the rule exists and that he better get control of his players/coaches/fans (as appropriate).

Again - JO.

goldcoastump Tue Oct 26, 2004 01:59pm

I agree that we should not be language police, but I know that if I let "bad" language go in any game things are only going to get worse. I called the Men's Modified Nationals and Bagman is right it was accepted there. They use the F word as an adjective "such as you f---ing umps are the greatest" now how are you going to throw a man out for that. Most of the time they were using it at themselves. In a JO game,I would not tolerate even the slightest cuss word. Use them and its an automatic "seeya".

IRISHMAFIA Tue Oct 26, 2004 05:53pm

Quote:

Originally posted by goldcoastump
I agree that we should not be language police, but I know that if I let "bad" language go in any game things are only going to get worse. I called the Men's Modified Nationals and Bagman is right it was accepted there. They use the F word as an adjective "such as you f---ing umps are the greatest" now how are you going to throw a man out for that. Most of the time they were using it at themselves. In a JO game,I would not tolerate even the slightest cuss word. Use them and its an automatic "seeya".
There use to be a language rule in Richmond, VA. Don't know if they still use it, odds are they do. The rule is that if a player cusses, the other team gets a free out.

My team is batting against a team from NYC. With two outs and a couple of runners on, one of our guys hits a line drive just out of the pitcher's reach. The pitcher comes down and ever so silently utters, "Jesus, God" to himself. The umpire heard Jesus and determined that comment was taking the name of the Lord in vain (sp) and removed an out from her indicator.

Forget the fact that we went on to score a load more runs that inning, but you now had someone imposing their religious feelings on someone from a completely different culture.

Though we benefitted from the call, we sided with the other team when they argued the point. It is just out right wrong.

Dakota Wed Oct 27, 2004 09:50am

Quote:

Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
There use to be a language rule in Richmond, VA. Don't know if they still use it, odds are they do. The rule is that if a player cusses, the other team gets a free out.

My team is batting against a team from NYC. With two outs and a couple of runners on, one of our guys hits a line drive just out of the pitcher's reach. The pitcher comes down and ever so silently utters, "Jesus, God" to himself. The umpire heard Jesus and determined that comment was taking the name of the Lord in vain (sp) and removed an out from her indicator.

Forget the fact that we went on to score a load more runs that inning, but you now had someone imposing their religious feelings on someone from a completely different culture.

Though we benefitted from the call, we sided with the other team when they argued the point. It is just out right wrong.

First, as I said above, such rules have a place in JO ball, and as local rules. I have no position on adult ball.

Second, your story has a lot in common with the poor umpire judgment "cost us the game" stories on eteamz, except your team won ("both coaches agreed it was a bad call..." yadda, yadda...) Because some umpire somewhere applied the rule with poor judgment does not, per se, indict the rule.

Third, any team playing in an out-of-state tournament that does not know the local rules has only themselves to blame.

And, please, enough with the "imposing religion" references. It was pure and simple a judgment call on what constituted an violation of the profanity rule. You may think the judgment was poor. So may I. But, in the end, it was just simply umpire judgment.

Bagman62 Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:55am

In the words of Lenny Bruce, "Words do not have meaning, people have meaning".

Look at the word "bad", ask a 65 year old person what they mean when thay say "That is Bad" and then ask a 15 or a 25 year old and you will get at least two meanings of the word "Bad"

Normally I would say "Use Common Sense" but I remember if it were "Common" everyone would have it.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:51am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dakota
First, as I said above, such rules have a place in JO ball, and as local rules. I have no position on adult ball.

Second, your story has a lot in common with the poor umpire judgment "cost us the game" stories on eteamz, except your team won ("both coaches agreed it was a bad call..." yadda, yadda...) Because some umpire somewhere applied the rule with poor judgment does not, per se, indict the rule.

Third, any team playing in an out-of-state tournament that does not know the local rules has only themselves to blame.

And, please, enough with the "imposing religion" references. It was pure and simple a judgment call on what constituted an violation of the profanity rule. You may think the judgment was poor. So may I. But, in the end, it was just simply umpire judgment.

Sorry, Tom, but I have to completely disagree here. You have never played ball in Richmond, have you?

There are a lot of goofy rules that you will never see in Championship Play even though Frank Taylor has tried to force them into ASA in the past.

I also knew who the umpire was and she later became one of Frank's personal assistants.

It was a terribly religious imposition and she (the umpire) made it clear that her call was based on her religious upbringing. I've heard the same thing elsewhere, on the field and on these boards.

There is no place for such subjective rules INCLUDING at the youth level. An umpire's belief, religious or otherwise, have no place on the field.

Do not take this as meaning that I completely ignore language not directed at me. I will talk to players and coaches whom I believe are getting a bit loud with what some may perceive as profanity. However, I will not allow my preferences or that of anyone else to become part of the game.