The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Question about tape on bats ASA RULE 3 SEC 1 G Safety grip I’m seeing a lot of this with guys or gals men’s or coed league using tape to flare or cone grip. According to the rule these bats are altered bats if it has more then two layers of tape?? And yes we are starting to tell all the teams to remove the tape or they can't use that bat.

Now how about these bat products below don’t find any rule for these instead of tape they should be using these if they want a cone or flare.

What do you all think input please??
Is anyone else seeing this what are you doing??

Bat Choke, Power Grip & Knobcuff EZ Taper these are solid rubber are they legal to use or not???
If you want to see what i mean go to this site softball.justicewasgreen.com Click on softabll junk banner or go to softballjunk.com they PC way.

Go to Other Equipment, then to Bat Grip Products you will find each of these products there.

[Edited by justice on Sep 15th, 2004 at 06:45 PM]
site for softball league(s)
or team(s)or business site for umpire(s).
I host and domian
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Obviouslly a ploy to get people to click on his banners!
Otherwise why give a link to a site with a softballjunk.com banner instead of just giving the URL to the page on softballjunk that the products are at. BAD FORM!
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Furthermore, that "softball site" that he referenced has absolutely no content. Therefore, it is just set up as a link to what is probably his business, aka Softball Junk.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

You got to be joking i have asked questions you are not answering them just looking how someone pointed you to look at something what a joke. And you left no answers to the questions. I even said if you want to look here they are but you should be able to answer with out looking. So whats the answer to my questions. Looking for answer and you come back with nothing but junk like this. Focus on the question and next qusetion(s) I ask i'll be PC about them. And the site is not mine it's just a site the banner is for the site not myself. next anyone with insite on my questions.

[Edited by justice on Sep 15th, 2004 at 05:34 PM]
I host and domian
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

The only link I found pointing to the mentioned products, ultimately pointed to: http://www.battape.com

I noticed a number of items that appear to be illegal because they alter the 90º angle of the bat's safty knob or because they are specifically mentioned as being illegal.

It would be best to review the rulebook of the particular organization that is being played in. NSA is about the only organization that has an online rule book. It can be found at:
http://www.playnsa.com/modules.php?n...howpage&pid=7.

In that book, review the definition of an Altered Bat on page 7, the section on the official bat on page 13 and the section on the on-deck batter on page 28. Some the items listed are specific to NSA, but most organizations follow these same general philosophies.

Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you SC Ump that helps some.
anyone i would like to know about ASA rule on this i can't find it help. The league I Ump in is going to put a stop on this. It's better to have something in writing out of the ASA Rule book.
I host and domian
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Should you try to increase the size of the bat handle and observe the rule of no more than 2 wraps of tape, something I used was a tennis product called "Add-A-Grip" as my first layer and the Prince "Cushion Grip" as the 2nd wrap and it was legal and added extra size to the bat handle.

The Bagman
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bagman62
Should you try to increase the size of the bat handle and observe the rule of no more than 2 wraps of tape, something I used was a tennis product called "Add-A-Grip" as my first layer and the Prince "Cushion Grip" as the 2nd wrap and it was legal and added extra size to the bat handle.
It's not quite that simple. You still need to have a quarter of an inch between the grip and edge of the knob.
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

NFHS

Heard they had quite a conversation about the "cone" addition piece at the Spring meeting of the rules committee for NFHS. As far as I heard NFHS is going to allow this piece.
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Red face

Justice,

Why can't you get a 2004 ASA Rule Book? If you registered ASA your UIC should have given them out.
If you do bat checks prior to the game and the tape is excessive, lose, etc., inform the coach the bat(s) in question cannot be used and to remove them from the dugout.

:=)
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

It's not the tape i'm asking about i understand the tape rule i'm asking about these 3 products the Bat Choke, Power Grip & Knobcuff EZ Taper.

I know this rule below, I'm asking where in the ASA rule for the 3 above products can they be used in ASA play.
The rule only suggest tape. This is what i need help on
or what rule am i missing. I do have a rule book i can't find anything else.

Tape on bats ASA RULE 3 SEC 1 G Safety grip

The official bat shall have a safety grip of cork, tape (no smooth plastic tape) or composition material. The safety Grip shall not be less than 10.0” Long, and shall not extend more than 15.0” long from the small/knob end of the bat. The safety grip may be a molded finger-formed grip as long as it is permanently attached to the bat or attached to the bat with safety tape. Resin, pine tar or spray substances are permissible on the Safety Grip only. Any Tape applied to the Safety must be continuously spiral, but does not exceed two layers of tape. A bat having a “Flare” or “Cone” grip attached will be considered an Altered Bat.
I host and domian
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

ASA RULE 3 SEC 1 I Safety Knob

ASA RULE 3 SEC 1 I Safety Knob ASA 2004 page 61 Picture on the page.
Read entire rule and pay attention to “The Knob may be molded, lathed, welded, or permanently attached as long as there is no violation of this section.

This may answer your question as the items your are describing appear to be KNOBS not Safety Grips

The Bagman